"The Lord God said, 'It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.'" (Genesis 2:18)
Text: Genesis 2:18-5:2
Name: "life" or "living"
Date: Beginning of the creation
Place: Garden of Eden
Key: Mother of all living
Genesis 2:23, 5:2; 3:20
· Woman: Generic description of her relation to man - Gen. 2:18, 21-22; 1 Cor. 11:8-9
· Adam: Her "married" name alludes to her unity with her husband - Gen. 5:2; 2:24; Matt. 19:6
· Eve: Her function and destiny - Gen. 3:20; 1 Cor. 11:12; 1 Tim. 2:15
EVE WAS THE FIRST
· First woman - Gen. 2:18, 21-22; 1 Tim. 2:13
· First wife - Gen. 2:23-24; 1 Pet. 3:1
· First mother - Gen. 3:16; 4:1-2; 1 Tim. 2:15
· First to be deceived by Satan - Gen. 3:1-6; 1 Tim. 2:14
· First to actually commit sin - Gen. 3:1-6
THE TEMPTING OF EVE
· Eve was deceived by Satan - Gen. 3:13; 2 Cor. 11:3; 1 Tim. 2:14
· Satan lied to her about God's word and God's character
· Eve was lured by the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life
· Eve took the lead in committing sin
THE RESULTS OF HER SIN
· Eve experienced spiritual death
· Eve experienced the shame and guilt of sin
· Eve blamed her sin on the serpent
· The pain of children bearing would increase
· Her desire would be to her husband and he would rule over her
· Eve did not lose her faith in God - Gen. 4:1, 25
THE SEED OF WOMAN
· Satan would ultimately be defeated by her seed, Christ - Gal. 4:4; 1 Jno. 3:8
LESSONS FOR US
· God intends us to experience happiness and contentment in all of His blessings
(for instance, marriage).
· We must be on guard against temptation and sin even in the best of circumstances.
· God never lies and we must never question His integrity.
· A woman's role is not to rule over man, but to submit to his rule.
· Although God caused childbearing to occur with pain, He also blessed it with great joy.
1. Does the name "Eve" carry any meaning for us? Physically?
2. Why and how are husband and wife "one flesh?" (cf. Eph. 5:28-29)
3. Did Eve ever question her contentment? How do you know? What is the lesson for us?
4. What does it mean "your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you"? (Gen. 3:16)
5. Why weren't fig leaves enough covering for Adam and Eve? (Gen. 3:7, 21)
6. Do you believe Eve was the loveliest woman who ever lived? If so, why? (Gen. 2:22-23; 1 Pet. 3:3-6)