Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 134
O Come, Let Us Adore Him
1. Sometimes, the Christmas songs that speak of the birth of Jesus say things worthy of our consideration every day of the year.
-Even though we do not religiously celebrate the birth of Jesus, we do not deny His birth or its significance.
2. “O Come, All Ye Faithful” has a repeating line in its chorus: “O come, let us adore Him, Christ the Lord.”
3. What does it mean to adore Christ? What am I doing to adore Him?
4. How does God’s word say we adore Christ so that He accepts our adoration?
I. TO ADORE: TO LOVE, HONOR, ESTEEM, WORSHIP, RESPECT, ADMIRE.
A. “To Love and Respect Deeply.” To love dearly, be devoted to; To worship, venerate (glorify, praise, revere), Rev. 5:8-13.
B. Wise Men Worshiped the Child as a Newborn King, Matt. 2:2, 11.
1. Sought him out (great expense and sacrifice of money, time...).
2. Cf. the self-denial of following Jesus, Lk. 9:23.
3. Easy to adore a baby; Harder to adore a King who has authority over us and puts expectations upon us.
II. O COME, LET US ADORE HIM. (How are you adoring Christ in your life?)
A. With Genuine Faith in Who Jesus Really Is. (The way we live is impacted by who we believe He was and is.)
1. Savior, Immanuel..., Matt. 1:21-23; Isa. 7:14; 9:6-7 (Lk. 2:11).
2. Son of the Highest (God), Lk. 1:30-35.
-Day of resurrection, Psa. 2:7 (Acts 13:32-34).
3. Christ, the Lord, Lk. 2:11; Psa. 110.
a. He rules in righteousness and executes justice, Jer. 23:5-6.
b. Christ (Messiah): Anointed One (prophet, priest, king).
c. Lord: Ruler, Master, Lk. 6:46.
B. With True Worship, Jno. 4:23-24. (Songs of Ascent, Psa. 121-134)
1. Vain worship exists, Isa. 1:10-15; Matt. 15:9. Does not adore God.
2. Primary reason (purpose) we worship: Give, homage, praise, adoration and devotion to God.
3. Secondary benefits to each worshiper (edification via teaching, encouragement, exhortation, Eph. 5:19; Acts 20:7), 1 Cor. 14:26.
4. We urge consistent, faithful attendance because we ought to come and adore Him, cf. 1 Cor. 11:20-21.
5. We must not offer Him worship while our attitudes and actions show resentment or even contempt toward God, Mal. 1:6-8.
C. With Faithful Living, Eph. 4:1; 5:1-2.
1. We imitate those we love and respect deeply.
2. Who are you imitating in your life? 1 Cor. 11:1
D. With Careful Obedience, 2 Tim. 3:10-12 (1 Tim. 4:6); Heb. 5:9.
1. By handling God’s word accurately, we show great respect for Christ (2 Tim. 2:15).
2. When I sin I dishonor Christ, who died to save me from my sins. I am not adoring Him when I am sinning against Him.
3. Careless and apathetic to following the word of Christ shows a lack of respect for Jesus, cf. Willful sin, Heb. 10:26-29.
1. We not only go to Bethlehem to adore Christ, we go to Galilee, to Samaria, to Jerusalem, to Calvary and to His throne in heaven.
2. We not only adore the Child born king of the Jews, we adorn the Son who reigns on His throne at the right hand of God.
3. Adore the Son in every attitude you have, every goal and priority you set, every attitude you hold, every decision you make, every word you speak, and every action you take, Psa. 2:10-12.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: December 8, 2016