Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: 1 Peter 3:10-17
Affirmations About Afflictions
1. Affliction/tribulation (thlipsis) - “Prim. means a pressing, pressure, anything which burdens the spirit...has reference to sufferings due to the pressure of circumstances, or the antagonism of persons” (Vine, 17).
a. Arise from wars, want, distress, persecution & many other things.
b. Synonyms: Suffering, trouble, anguish, burden.
2. When we are faced with trials, trouble & pressures on every side, we can better deal with them in God’s way by understanding some facts about afflictions.
I. TRIALS AND TROUBLES WILL COME.
A. Jesus Said So - Jno. 15:20.
-Serving Christ means facing trials from faithless ones.
B. Apostles Taught Same Thing - Acts 14:22; 1 Ths. 3:4.
1. 1 Ths. 3:4 – We must prepared to face them before they come.
2. 2 Tim. 3:12 – Our goal of godliness leads to persecution.
II.THEY ARE NOT PROOF OF GUILT / SIN.
A. Rest Assured, if we are Evildoers, We Will Suffer Sooner or Later – 2 Pet. 2:9 (Rom. 2:9).
1. You may be facing trouble because of your own sins – Rom. 1:27.
2. Must examine ourselves for sin & its consequences upon us.
B. But, Present Misfortune (calamity) is not Proof One Has Sinned – Lk. 13:1-5 (cf. Job 4:7; 1:8, 22; 2:10).
C. Innocent / Godly People Suffer – 2 Tim. 3:12; Jas. 1:27.
D. You May Appear to be an Evildoer When You Suffer for Righteousness – 2 Tim. 2:8-9.
1. We expect evildoers to suffer (Rom. 2:9).
2. But, Paul was not an evildoer, yet he was in prison facing death.
E. One May be Suffering for Doing Good – 1 Pet. 3:13-17 (4:15-16).
III. TROUBLES & TRIALS ARE NOT WITHOUT POTENTIAL BENEFIT.
A. Can Teach Us Contentment - Phil. 4:11-13.
-Help us learn that we are sufficient in Christ in spite of trials which test us & place doubt before us!
B. Can Help us Learn Submissive Obedience - Heb. 5:8-9.
1. Trials test our faith & resolve to obey Jesus.
2. “The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.” Chinese proverb
3. Accept the discipline they bring – Heb. 12:3-11.
C. Can be the Occasion of Strengthening our Faith.
1. Jas. 1:2-4 - Faith is perfected thru endurance.
2. Teach us endurance – 2 Tim. 2:3.
3. Teach us to trust Christ’s power to strengthen & sustain us – 2 Cor. 12:9-10.
IV. THEY CAN BE SUCCESSFULLY OVERCOME.
A. God Promises we can Overcome Present Troubles.
1. Jas. 1:12 – Promised crown of life!
2. 1 Cor. 10:13 – As one person said, “God limits their impact.”
B. We Can Turn Unjust Suffering Into God’s Glory – 1 Pet. 4:15-16.
1. By showing Christ to others in your suffering, you honor God before them!
2. 4:19 – God will protect your soul when you commit yourself to Him (cf. 2:23)
V. THEY ARE POWERLESS TO MAKE OUR SERVICE TO GOD IN VAIN - Rom. 8:35-39.
A. They Need not Disturb our Faith – 1 Ths. 3:3.
1. Shaken – Disquiet, agitate (of a dog wagging its tail).
2. Appointed to receive trials.
B. We Can Endure Afflictions by Keeping Heaven as our Goal – 2 Tim. 2:12.
1. 2 Cor. 4:16-18 – Inward man renewed, eternal glory assured.
2. Rev. 2:10 – W/o fear, be faithful to point of death – Crown of life (Jas. 1:12; 2 Tim. 4:6-8).
3. 1 Pet. 4:13 – Rejoice when you share in Christ’s suffering – Will have exceeding joy!
1. Phil. 3:7-11, 14-15 – Key components to facing afflictions for one’s faith is a willingness to sacrifice & maintaining our spiritual goals.
2. Then, suffering, troubles & trials can be faced with faith, contentment, joy & the hope of future rest.
3. Only the Christian can face trials & trouble in this way! (2 Cor. 12:9-10)