Ashamed Or Not Ashamed: That Is The Question
1. Ashamed: Lit. to be disfigured by; disgraced, dishonored (embarrassed, humiliated); to be restrained by reason of shame.
2. The opposite of shame is boldness, confidence - cf. Phil. 1:20; 2 Tim. 1:7.
3. Shame over some things is good (restraining us from sin). But, there are people & things which should never shame, dishonor or restrain us.
I. BE ASHAMED:
A. Of Your Past Life In Sin - Rom. 6:21.
1. Shame of the past keeps us focused on righteousness - Rom. 6:18-22.
2. Shame via applied discipline can prompt repentance - 2 Thess. 3:14.
B. Of Present Fellowship With Sin - Eph. 5:8-12 (cf. 1 Cor. 15:33-34).
1. Because it contradicts who you are (children of light) - 5:8, 11.
2. Because it bears contradictory fruit - 5:9-10.
3. Because sin is shameful in God's sight! - 5:12.
II. DO NOT BE ASHAMED:
A. Of Christ - Mk. 8:38 (Lk. 9:26).
1. He is not ashamed of you - Heb. 2:11.
a. To live & die for us!
b. He is patient with us in our weakness & sin.
2. He will not be ashamed of everyone who lives by faith - Heb. 11:16.
3. We have bold & confident access to God - Eph. 3:12.
4. Do not fear man - you are valuable to God! (Matt. 10:28-31).
B. Of Being A Christian - 1 Pet. 4:16.
1. A Christian will stand out because you are different from the world (light, salt) - Your difference glorifies God! - cf. Acts 5:41
2. Know that God will save you - trust Him - 2 Tim. 1:12 (Dan. 3:17-18).
C. Of The Gospel Of Christ - Rom. 1:16.
1. Because the gospel saves souls & changes live - (Yours!).
2. The gospel belongs to the Lord, not us - 2 Tim. 1:8.
D. Of The Church Of Christ - Eph. 3:10-11.
1. The church displays God's wisdom - Embarrassed by that?!
2. 3:21 - If you are embarrassed by the church you are embarrassed by Christ & His death (built it, bought it, rules it)!
E. Of Faithful Brethren - cf. Heb. 2:11.
1. Christ is not embarrassed to be identified with you.
2. Faithful brethren are an example for us, not an embarrassment to us! (Phil. 3:17; Eph. 3:13)
F. Of Sound Preachers & Their Preaching - 2 Tim. 1:8, 16-18.
1. Uphold the hands of faithful men as they preach sound doctrine.
2. Don't be embarrassed when preaching exposes error & calls sinners to repent!
G. Of Being A Worker For Christ - 2 Tim. 2:15.
1. A workman is not ashamed of his tools! Use the gospel in your life so that you will not be ashamed before God!
2. 2 Cor. 10:8 - Paul was not ashamed to boast in the work given to Him by the Lord.
H. Before Christ When He Returns - 1 Jno. 2:28-29.
1. Abide in Christ now by practicing righteousness.
2. 1 Jno. 4:17-18 - Live in love - boldness in the day of judgment.
1. Those who believe (trust & obey) will not be put to shame - Rom. 9:33; 10:11.
2. Don't be ashamed of the Lord be ashamed of your sin believe & obey!