Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 6:9-12
1. Do not become sluggish, Heb. 6:11-12. (Faith & patience, Heb. 10:36)
a. Displaying little movement or activity; slow; inactive: a sluggish stream; sluggish growth. (Illus. The “Slowsky’s”)
b. Lacking alertness, vigor, or energy; inert or indolent (lazy).
c. Slow to perform or respond to stimulation.
2. Be fervent:
a. zeo: To boil with heat, be hot (Rom. 12:11).
b. ektenēs (from ekteino): To stretch out, stretch forth…towards… “Strained, stretched (ek, ‘out,’ teino, ‘to stretch’)…intently, strenuously, instantly, earnestly.” (Vine, 233) (1 Pet. 4:8).
c. energeo: “to be operative, be at work, put forth power” (Jas. 5:16).
3. Are you “slow & inactive” toward God? Or, are you “on fire” in your faith & service to God? Does it matter?
I. BE FERVENT IN SPIRIT, Rom. 12:11; Acts 18:25.
A. Describes how Christians Serve the Lord, Rom. 12:11 (“all diligence” 2 Pet. 1:5).
1. Zeal, Titus 2:14 (cf. 2 Cor. 7:7, KJV: “fervent mind toward me”).
2. Boldness, Phil. 1:20 (Christ will be magnified in my body; “made conspicuous” & celebrated).
3. Determination to run the race before us, Phil. 3:12-15.
4. Desire (strong) to worship & serve, Lk. 22:15.
5. Endurance to put away sin & be faithful, Heb. 12:1-2 (Gal. 6:9).
6. Faith that does not draw back, Heb. 10:39.
II. BE FERVENT IN LOVE, 1 Pet. 4:8. (ektenes, “stretched out”, metaph. intent, earnestly, assiduously instantly, strenuously). Prov. 10:12: “Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all sins.”
A. With a Pure Heart, 1 Pet. 1:22.
1. Love for one another (help overcoming sin, Jas. 5:19-20).
2. Love for God, 1 Jno. 5:2-3.
3. Love for God’s word of truth, Psa. 119:97.
4. Love for the lost, Matt. 22:39.
5. Love for our enemies, Matt. 5:44-45.
B. Keep Yourselves in the Love of God, Jude 21. (Guard, preserve)
-We commanded to love God and to “keep” ourselves in that love (cf. “labor of love…toward His name”, Heb. 6:10).
III. BE FERVENT IN PRAYER, Jas. 5:16-17 (energeo, power); Acts 12:5 (ektenes, intensely, urgently).
A. Prayer is Powerful (avails much, strong to overcome).
1. Continue earnestly in prayer, Col. 4:2.
2. Always laboring fervently in prayer, Col. 4:12.
3. In suffering:
a. Physical illness (Jas. 5:13-15).
b. Spiritual illness (sin, Jas. 5:15-16).
B. Zealous Endurance is an Essential Part of Fervent Prayer, Luke 18:1-8. (Never become sluggish & lose heart).
1. The subject was (is) important, 18:3.
2. The need was (is) crucial, 18:3.
3. Justice was (is) essential, 18:3.
4. Our prayers are important to God & show faith in Him (18:8).
IV. A FERVENT HEAT, 2 Pet. 3:10, 12 (kausoo: “to burn up, set fire to”).
A. The Future Fervent Heat is a Necessary Reason to be Holy, 2 Pet. 3:11.
-Our necessary obligation in view of the world’s future destruction.
B. The Pain of an Eternal Fire that is never Extinguished (Hell) is Incentive to Be Fervent in Faith Now! Mk. 9:45-46
1. Heb. 6:12: The spiritually sluggish do not inherit the promises of God.
a. Fervent spirit (as servants of God);
b. Fervent love (to labor in love with a pure heart);
c. Fervent prayer (powerfully obtain the mercy of God);
d. Fervent heat will destroy the universe & compels us to be diligent in holy living.
2. John 2:17: Are you filled with zeal for the house of God?