Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 25:1-5
We Must Believe God Is
1. No one can come to God except he first believes that “God is”, Heb 11:6.
2. The divine existence forms the basis for everything that has been or every will be, Gen 1:1; Acts 17:28; Col 1:17; Heb 1:3.
3. God is real, righteous and ready: Real (truly exists); Righteous (completely holy and just); Ready (to save and to punish sin).
4. It is because of who God is that we are Christians. We must know God in our lives. Who He is must affect every part of our lives!
I. GOD IS…
A. Spirit, Jno 4:24.
1. God is distinct from humanity, Num 23:19.
a. Does not sin; does not think like we do (Isa 55:6-9), etc.
b. God became flesh; not so that He could know us, but so that we can know Him! Jno 1:14, 18
2. We must concern ourselves with our souls; made in the image of God, Gen 1:26-27; Matt 16:24.
3. The inner man must be conformed to Christ, Col 3:10.
B. True, Jno 3:33.
1. Truth is the self-expression of God, Deut 32:4 (Jno 14:6).
2. His word is truth, Jno 17:17.
a. His testimony is true, cf. Rom 3:4.
b. His testimony of His Son is true, 1 Jno 5:10 (Jno 5:36-37; 2 Pet 1:17-18).
c. Know Him…in Him…in His Son…eternal life, 1 Jno 5:20.
3. We must hear and obey His word, Jno 8:45-47.
C. Light, 1 Jno 1:5.
1. Brilliance of holiness, cf. 1 Tim 6:16.
2. Illumination of life, Jno 1:1-4.
3. Vanquishes darkness of sin, Jno 1:5; 3:19.
4. We must come to the light, Jno 3:20-21; 8:12; 1 Jno 1:7.
D. Love, 1 Jno 4:8. Love emanates from God.
1. God defines love for us and shows love to us, 1 Jno 4:9-10 (Jno 3:16).
2. We must love God, neighbors, enemies, one another, Matt 22:37-39; 5:44-45; 1 Jno 4:7, 11-12, 16.
E. Faithful (trustworthy).
1. To bless us eternally in the fellowship of Christ, 1 Cor 1:7-9
2. To protect us from sin as we resist temptation, 1 Cor 10:13
3. To keep His word to us, 2 Cor 1:18.
4. We must be trustworthy:
a. To bless, not curse, Jas 3:9-10.
b. To guard ourselves and others from sin, Eph 6:10-11; Gal 6:2.
c. To faithfully keep our word to God, Lk 6:46.
F. One, Gal 3:20.
1. One God of all, Rom 3:29.
2. Not divided, Deut 6:4.
3. No other god, 1 Cor 8:5-6.
4. We must show ourselves to be sons of God by being one (united) in Christ, Jno 17:20-21; 13:34-35; Eph 4:3-6.
1. Isa 46:8-11: There is no other god except Jehovah. He knows the end from the beginning (10) and will fully do what He says He will do (11).
a. He says He will save sinners in Christ, Rom 6:23 (Gal 3:26-27).
b. He says He will punish disobedient sinners, 2 Ths 1:8-9.
2. God must have first place in our hearts and our lives!