Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Matthew 25:1-13
1. Preparation is important to success, cf. Josh. 1:10-11; Isa. 40:3.
2. Most of us have faced some situation where we found ourselves unprepared. Unpreparedness may produce shame, but it can also be harmful and dangerous. On the job injuries, driving a car, relationships damaged, etc. cf. 2 Cor. 9:3-4.
3. Worst of all is being unprepared spiritually.
4. Parable of 10 virgins teaches us to be prepared, Matt. 25:1-13.
5. Preparation is not enough, though. We must also do what we have prepared to do, or the preparation is useless.
I. WHEN WE ARE NOT PREPARED FOR THE LORD’S RETURN:
A. We are Being Foolish, Matt. 25:2 (knew they needed oil); cf. Eph. 5:15-16.
1. Idle (lazy) instead of working, cf. Prov. 6:6-11.
2. Spiritual laziness, Heb. 6:9-12.
B. We are Being Wasteful, Eph. 5:16 (not ready for their opportunity. Therefore, blessings missed, Matt. 25:8-12).
C. We are Being Self-Centered and Self-Indulgent, Lk. 12:16-21.
D. We are Being Unfaithful, Matt. 24:42-51.
II. WE MUST PREPARE FOR:
A. Death, Heb. 9:27; cf. 2 Kgs. 20:1.
1. Obey the gospel of Christ, Rom. 6:16-18, 23.
2. God wants you to come to repentance, 2 Pet. 3:9-10.
3. What hinders you? Acts 8:36 (Acts 22:16; 2 Cor. 6:2)
B. Judgment, Heb. 9:27; cf. Amos 4:12.
1. Avoid sin; watch and pray, Lk. 21:33-36.
2. Faithful living, Rom. 2:3-11.
--Be Saved – Be Faithful – Be Growing
C. Life, Jas. 4:13-17; Eccl. 11:9-12:1, 13-14.
III. PREPARATION IS ESSENTIAL FOR OTHER THINGS.
A. To be a Husband or Wife, Eph. 5:22-33.
1. Search for a godly mate. One who will help you serve God.
2. Learn commitment, devotion, faithfulness, love, responsibility, unselfishness…
B. To be a Parent, Jug. 13:8; Eph. 6:4.
1. Sacrifice, time, money, energy…self.
2. Self-discipline to effectively train child, Prov. 4:1-4, 10-13, 20-23 (Heb. 12:6; Prov. 13:24).
C. To be a Good Bible Student and Bible Teacher, 2 Tim. 2:2, 15.
1. Accept the responsibility, Jas. 3:1.
2. Equip yourself with the word to teach it, 1 Tim. 4:13, 15-16.
3. Live the word to teach it, 1 Tim. 4:12.
D. To Serve in the Kingdom of God.
1. To teach the gospel to sinners and saints, Matt. 28:19-20; Rom. 1:15.
a. The need exists for both, Rom. 10:13-15.
b. The need to reach lost brethren, Jas. 5:19-20 (Gal. 6:1).
2. The need for gospel preachers is real and serious, 2 Tim. 4:2-5. Not professional preachers, but preachers who profess truth.
3. To be an elder or deacon, 1 Tim. 3:1, 10, 13.
a. Strive (3:1): “To stretch oneself, i.e. reach out after” (Strong). Develop your faith, character, and maturity in Christ.
b. Be a faithful steward of God’s grace (3:13), 1 Pet. 4:10-11.
1. How sad to miss heaven because we are unprepared. Matt. 25:11-12
2. Sister Teague (Lancaster, CA) told me once of a neighbor who would never obey the gospel despite years of effort. Day before her death she said, “I’ve waited too long.”
3. Why are you waiting? Prepare to meet the Lord now.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: August 9, 2018