Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Matthew 21:23-27
Bible Authority, Part 3
The Source and Standard of Our Authority
1. The necessity of Godís authority over man is beyond doubt (Part 2).
2. Yet, many settle for (even demand) manís authority rather than Godís.
3. How can we have confidence we are trusting in Godís authority and not manís to save us?
4. How does God make His authority available to man so we can know His will, obey it and live in His blessings?
I. THERE ARE ONLY TWO AVAILABLE SOURCES OF AUTHORITY: ONE IS RIGHT AND ONE IS WRONG, Matt. 21:23-27.
A. Manís Wisdom Enslaves, is Empty and Deceptive, Col. 2:8 (1-3).
B. God Speaks to Man through Jesus Christ, Heb. 1:1-3.
C. Christ Possesses All Authority, Matt. 28:18.
1. Hear Him (Matt. 17:5).
2. Hearken or be destroyed (Acts 3:22-23).
3. Far above all rule, authority, power, government and every name called upon; head over all things to the church, His body (Eph. 1:20-23).
4. In all things He has preeminence (Col. 1:18).
5. Salvation is in no other name / authority (Acts 4:10-12).
II. CHRISTíS AUTHORITY IS CONTAINED IN HIS WORD, Heb. 1:2-3.
A. The Lord Began to Speak Salvation, Heb. 2:3-4 (Jno. 6:63, 68; 8:31-32; 12:48-50). (The word of Jesus has power to save.)
B. What we will be Judged by:
1. Not feelings, opinions, pastors, preachers, teachers, churches, synods, councils, assemblies, associations, conferences, creeds, catechisms, manuals, disciplines, parents, family, friendsÖ
2. Will be judged by the word of Jesus Christ, Jno. 12:48; 5:22.
III. THE CHAIN OF AUTHORITY FROM HEAVEN TO EARTH (GOD TO MAN).
A. Jesus Spoke the All-Authoritative Word of God, Jno. 12:49-50.
B. Gave the Same Authoritative Word to Apostles, Jno. 17:6-8, 14-19.
C. Apostles Given the All-Authoritative Word by the Holy Spirit:
1. Another Comforter, the Spirit of truth (Jno. 14:16-18).
2. Teach and remember all things (Jno. 14:25-26).
3. Guide them into all truth (Jno. 16:12-14).
4. Holy Spirit would speak through them (Matt. 10:19-20) (inspiration).
-Holy Spirit given on Pentecost (Acts 1:8; 2:1-4).
5. Holy Spirit confirmed their word with miracles (Heb. 2:3-4, Mk. 16:20).
D. We Must Hear the Words of the Apostles, Lk. 10:16; Matt. 10:40.
-RevelationÖInspirationÖConfirmation, 1 Cor. 2:4-5; Eph. 3:3-5.
IV. INSPIRED SCRIPTURE IS CHRISTíS COMPLETE AND FINAL AUTHORITY, 2 Tim. 3:16-17.
-Our responsibility: Learn and obey the word of God, 1 Tim. 2:3-4; 2 Tim. 2:15; Eph. 5:17.
1. We can trust the inspired Scriptures (NT of Christ):
a. Is what God has provided to save and sustain us, 1 Pet. 1:22-25.
b. It will not pass away, Matt. 24:35.
2. Godís word accomplishes its purpose of providing Godís authority to man (for salvation and approved service), Isa. 55:11.