Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 2:6-13
The B-I-B-L-E, Yes that's the Book for Me!
1. The Bible is attacked as a myth, ridiculed, marginalized and disregarded as God's word of truth in this modern era.
2. Why should you believe the Bible is God's book for you?
I. BECAUSE OF ITS COMPILATION.
A. The Unity of the Bible, Psa. 119:160.
1. 66 books, 40 men, 1500 yrs., different backgrounds, places, languages, educations...
2. Harmony in structure, its theme and doctrine.
B. The Bible is an Organic Whole.
1. F. F. Bruce observed: "Any part of the human body can only be properly explained in reference to the whole body. And any part of the Bible can only be properly explained in reference to the whole Bible". (Josh McDowell, Evidence that Demands a Verdict, 16).
2. All parts combine to form the whole, Lk. 24:44-45.
3. Has a definite beginning and end -- Not fragmented.
4. Begins at creation -- Ends with consummation in heaven. (Heavens and earth, Gen. 1:1 / New, Rev. 21:1; Tree of life denied, Gen. 3:22 / Access freely, Rev. 22:12).
C. Unusual Style, Isa. 55:8-11.
1. Brevity, omissions, impartiality and calmness (simplicity).
2. Men donít write the way Bible is written, Eccl. 12:12 (Jno. 21:24-25).
II. BECAUSE OF ITS HISTORICAL ACCURACY.
-A book can be historically accurate and not be inspired, but no book can be accepted as inspired and be historically inaccurate.
-Bible claims to be a historical book, and its history is continually upheld by archeology.
A. The Hittites. Mentioned >50 times in OT, were said to be mythical by unbelievers (Gen. 15:20; 26:34; 36:2). 19th and 20th century archaeology demonstrated the accuracy of the Biblical record with the discovery of an entire Hittite city (allaboutarchaeology.org).
B. King David and Solomon and a Strong Centralized Monarchy.
-Confirmed by archaeological finds: 1994: "House of David" on Tel Dan inscription; earlier Moabite Stone; 2008-2010: Numerous finds.
C. Sodom and Gomorrah. Jesus believed it, Matt. 11:23-24. ("The Discovery of the Sin Cities of Sodom and Gomorrah", Bryant G. Wood, PhD., April 16, 2008, Associates for Biblical Research)
III. BECAUSE OF ITS FULFILLED PROPHECY. Deut. 18:18-22; Isa. 41:21-24
A. The Nations, Jer. 18:7-11.
B. The Messiah, Jno. 5:39 (time, birth, character, suffering, death and resurrection, coronation and kingdom... Over 300 (astronomical probability), Lk. 18:31-34.
IV. BECAUSE OF ITS AUTHORITY OVER US. Matt. 28:18-19
A. Authority to Lead to Salvation, 2 Tim. 3:15; Rom. 1:16; 1 Cor. 1:18-21.
1. Identifies sin, identifies the Savior, identifies our enemy (devil), identifies our goal and how to reach it (heaven)..., 2 Pet. 1:3.
2. Let Christ's word dwell in you richly, Col. 3:16-17.
B. Authority to Produce Faith in Jesus Christ, Rom. 10:17; Jno. 8:24; 8:31-32; 20:30-31.
C. Authority to Approve Every Good Work of God, 2 Tim. 3:16-17.
D. Authority to Command and Demand Obedience, 1 Cor. 14:37; Jno. 12:48.
E. Authority to Judge Us on the Last Day, Rev. 20:12 (2 Tim. 2:15).
1. We have not followed cunningly devised fables, 2 Pet. 1:16.
2. Bible is Godís revelation of Himself and His purposes to human beings, 1 Cor. 2:9-13.
3. What will you do with the Bible? 1 Thess. 2:13
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: October 28, 2015