Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 9:11-22
The Blood of Christ
1. Blood is the vehicle of life (~1.5 gal.; for transport, fight diseases & to regulate body temperature). Without blood we will die!
2. Without the blood of Christ, we die spiritually & eternally – Heb. 9:22.
3. Want to understand the place & importance of blood in God’s plan for our redemption; what Christ’s blood accomplishes (why it was shed) & how sinners obtain its benefits.
I. BLOOD IN GOD’S PLAN FOR HUMAN REDEMPTION.
A. Blood Represents Life – Gen. 9:4; Deut. 12:23; Lev. 17:10-12.
-Blood atoned because of the life given in the sacrifice.
B. Throughout the OT God Taught Mankind that “without the shedding of blood” (giving of life) there is No Remission of Sins (Heb. 9:22).
1. Patriarchal age:
a. Abel’s sacrifice – Gen. 4:3-4 (God accepted sacrifice that consisted of blood, Heb. 11:4).
b. Noah – Gen. 8:20-21 (pleased God).
c. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob – Altars (Gen. 12:7; etc.).
2. Mosaic age:
a. Deliverance – Exo. 12:7, 13 (token of safety & security).
b. Covenant dedicated & sustained w/ blood – Heb. 9:18-22.
C. But, Blood of Animals Could not Take Away Sins – Heb. 10:1-4.
1. Then, what was their purpose?
a. 10:1 – Shadow of Christ’s sacrifice.
b. 10:2-3 – Consciousness of sins maintained.
c. 10:3 – Showed the faith of those who offered them.
d. Kept in God’s favor & forbearance (Rom. 3:25).
D. Christ’s Blood (life) Has Been Offered to Accomplish Atonement – Heb. 10:10-12.
1. Christ’s blood was shed for everyone – Heb. 2:9.
2. Shedding blood = Giving of life (death): Heb. 9:12 – Christ’s own blood…offered Himself (9:14)…by means of death (9:15)…blood of the covenant (9:20)…shedding of blood (9:22).
II. WHAT CHRIST’S BLOOD ACCOMPLISHES.
A. Dedicated His New Covenant – Matt. 26:28; Heb. 9:15-17.
1. Initiated the authority & blessings of the new covenant.
2. Announced on day of Pentecost (Acts 2).
B. Takes Away Sins – Jno. 1:29. (Remission, Heb. 9:22; 10: 17-18)
C. Reconciliation Through (His) Death – Col. 1:19-22.
1. “The meaning of the word is simply at-one-ment, i.e., the state of being at one or being reconciled, so that atonement is reconciliation.” (Easton’s Dict.)
2. Atonement (reconciliation) is the effect of the offering of Christ’s life (shedding of blood) – Rom. 5:10-11 (Eph. 2:16).
D. Redemption Through His Blood – Eph. 1:7. (Forgiveness of sins)
1. “a releasing effected by payment of ransom…deliverance…liberation procured by the payment of a ransom.”
2. Jesus gave His life as the ransom price (Matt. 20:28).
E. Justification by His Blood – Rom. 5:9; 3:24.
-Declared just, rendered righteous; innocent, faultless.
F. Propitiation by His Death – Rom. 3:25.
1. To appease wrath; obtain mercy.
2. As High Priest, Christ secures mercy for sinners with His blood – Heb. 9:12 (cf. Lev. 16:15-16).
3. Because of His blood we enter presence of God! Heb. 10:19-22
G. Sanctification With His Own Blood – Heb. 13:12.
-“To separate from profane things & dedicate to God.”
1. Cleansing from dead works of sin – Heb. 9:14.
2. Washing (purifying) away – Rev. 1:5.
III. HOW WE OBTAIN THE BLESSINGS OF CHRIST’S BLOOD?
A. Christ’s Blood (His sacrificial death) Must be Applied to Our Sins for us to Receive the Benefit of His Death.
1. God says He will apply blood of Christ to the sins of those who have faith in Jesus – Rom. 3:26. (Through faith - humble, obedient)
a. Baptized into His death – Rom. 6:3.
b. This action of faith obtains the benefits of His death (blood) – Acts 22:16.
B. Purchased His Church – Acts 20:28.
1. Promise of salvation to His body (church) – Eph. 5:23.
2. Must be in His church to be saved by His blood.
3. Entrance into this blood-bought body – Acts 2:36-41, 47. (Faith, repentance, baptism)
C. The Blood of Christ Cleanses Christians from Sins when we Confess them to God – 1 Jno. 1:7-9.
1. Without the blood of Christ applied to your sins you are forever lost.
2. Be saved by the blood of Christ on His terms.