Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 10:1-10
The Blood of Christ (#1)
1. Blood is the vehicle of life (~1.5 gal.; transportation system for oxygen, antigens to fight disease, regulates body temperature, etc.); we die without blood!
2. Without blood of Christ, we die spiritually and eternally, Heb. 9:22.
3. Want to understand the place and importance of blood in God’s plan for our redemption; what Christ’s blood accomplishes (why it was shed) and how sinners obtain its benefits.
I. BLOOD IN GOD’S PLAN FOR HUMAN REDEMPTION.
A. Blood Represents Life, Gen. 9:4; Deut. 12:23; Lev. 17:10-12.
1. Metonymy: “Metonymy is a figure by which one name or noun is used instead of another, to which it stands in a certain relation” (Bullinger, Figures of Speech used in the Bible, 544).
2. Blood atoned because of the life given in the sacrifice.
B. Throughout the OT, God Taught Men that “without the shedding of blood” (giving of life) there is no Remission of Sins, Heb. 9:22.
1. Patriarchal age:
a. Abel’s sacrifice, Gen. 4:3-4 (God accepted sacrifice that consisted of blood – an offering of life, Heb. 11:4).
b. Noah, Gen. 8:20-21 (pleased God).
c. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob: Altars for animal sacrifices (Gen. 12:7).
2. Mosaic age:
a. Deliverance, Exo. 12:5-7, 13. (Token of safety and security)
b. Covenant dedicated and sustained with blood, Heb. 9:18-22.
C. But, Animal Blood (life) cannot take Away Sins, Heb. 10:1-4.
1. Then, what were the purposes of the animal (blood) sacrifices?
a. Shadow of Christ’s sacrifice, 10:1.
b. Consciousness of sins maintained, 10:2-3.
c. Showed the faith of the worshiper, 10:3.
d. Kept in God’s favor and forbearance, Rom. 3:25.
D. Christ’s Blood (life) takes Away Sins, Heb. 10:10-12.
1. Christ’s blood was shed for everyone, Heb. 2:9.
2. Shedding blood = Giving of life (death): Heb. 9:12. Christ’s own blood…offered Himself (9:14)…by means of death (9:15)…blood of the covenant (9:20)…shedding of blood (9:22).
II. ONLY ONE BLOOD (LIFE) CAN REMOVE THE SINNER’S SIN.
A. Animal Blood (life) Cannot Remove our Sin, Heb. 10:4.
-Micah felt the futility of repeated animal sacrifices, Micah 6:6-7.
B. The Blood (life) of a Sinner Cannot Remove Sin, Ezek. 18:20.
1. Death is the just punishment for our sins, not our means of atonement, Rom. 6:23; cf. Acts 25:11.
2. The error of the Mormon doctrine of blood atonement.
C. The Blood (life) of the Unblemished Lamb of God Takes Away Sin, Jno. 1:29.
1. Provided by God, Gen. 22:8, 13-14. (Grace, Tit. 2:11)
2. His Son, Gal. 4:4-5.
3. Christ willingly died, Heb. 10:5-10. (Humble servant, Jno. 10:18; Phil. 2:5-8).
1. You must be cleansed by the blood of the Lamb to be saved from your sins, Acts 22:16.
2. Part 2: Examine what Christ’s death accomplishes and how it is applied to sins.