Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Ephesians 5:22-32
The Body of Christ in Ephesians
1. “What church do I have to be member of to go to heaven?”
a. Does it matter which church I am a member of?
b. Can I not be a member of any church and go to heaven?
2. How do I know if the church I’m a member of is the right church? Does it make any difference?
I. PHYSICAL BODY OF CHRIST: HIS DEATH IS OUR REDEMPTION – Eph. 1:7.
A. Redemption is Through the Blood of Christ (His death).
1. Grace – 1:7; Heb. 2:9 (Rom. 5:8).
2. Ransom (Matt. 20:28; 1 Tim. 2:6). “The price of redeeming…paid for slaves, captives…for the ransom of life…to liberate many from misery and the penalty of their sins” (OBGL).
B. He Purchased His Church with His Blood, Acts 20:28; Eph. 5:25
II. SPIRITUAL BODY OF CHRIST: THE CHURCH – Eph. 3:10-11.
A. The Church of Christ is the Body of Christ – Eph. 1:22-23; Col. 1:18.
B. The Church Reveals the Wisdom of God – Eph. 3:10.
C. The Church is Part of God’s Eternal Purpose of Salvation in Christ – 3:11. The church we are a member of makes all the difference!
III. THE CHURCH (BODY) OF CHRIST:
A. Is the Fullness of Christ – Eph. 1:22-23.
1. Nothing Christ offers mankind is obtained outside of Christ (1:3).
a. Baptized into Christ (Gal. 3:27).
b. Baptized into His body (church) – 1 Cor. 12:13.
c. There, one is not in Christ & not saved unless you are in His church.
2. The church receives all of Christ’s blessings – 1:23 (3).
a. Nothing of Christ is found outside His church (2 Cor. 6:16-18).
b. Therefore, must be in His church to be saved.
B. Is Reconciled to God and Man – Eph. 2:13-18.
1. Reconcile: Enemies restored to favor (“peace” - 2:14-15, 17).
2. Reconciliation is obtained in Christ / “in one body” (church):
a. Sinners are reconciled to God in the “body” – 2:16, 18.
b. Jews & Gentiles reconciled to each other in “body” – 2:14-16.
3. If not in the body of Christ, not reconciled to God! Lost!
C. Is the One Body that Belongs to Christ – Eph. 4:4; Matt. 16:18.
1. How many did He build? How many bodies does He have?
2. Men have built churches w/o His approval (denom. & dates).
3. Must be in His body – His church – to be saved in Christ!
D. Is Saved by Jesus, the Savior – Eph. 5:23.
1. Salvation available to all, but obtained by believers who are in His body, the church! - 1 Tim. 4:10
E. Is Subject to Christ – Eph. 5:24.
1. Authority to believe, teach & live comes from word of Christ – Col. 3:17; Matt. 28:19.
2. Any church that is not submissive to the authority of Christ in its doctrine, teaching, organization & practice is not “of Christ”! (Rev. 2:5; 3:16)
F. Is Sanctified by Christ – Eph. 5:26.
1. The church is purified, cleansed, purged from sin.
2. By the baptism taught by the gospel of Christ – Mk. 16:15-16 (Jno. 3:5).
3. Not in His church & not saved if you have not been baptized into Christ to be cleansed of your sins! – Rom. 6:3; Acts 22:16
G. Will be Glorified with Christ – Eph. 5:27.
1. Only the pure church will be presented to Christ in glory – 2 Cor. 11:2; Col. 3:1-4.
a. Churches of men are corrupted with sin & error.
b. They cannot expect & will not receive glory with Christ! – Rev. 2:14-17
1. The church one is a member of makes a difference!
2. Only the body of Christ – the church of Christ – will be saved in heaven., while all the churches of men will be lost.
3. “Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord!”