THE CHOICES OF CAIN
1. Gen. 4:1 - Cain means "acquire," & in view of Gen. 3:15, his parents may well have expected him to be the promised Deliverer. Their hope would turn to horror -- their harmony to hate.
2. The Bible warns us to avoid the way (path) of Cain - Jude 11.
3. Cain chose his path. We also choose ours.
I. CAIN CHOSE TO OFFER GOD VAIN WORSHIP - Gen. 4:3-5
A. He Did Not Sacrifice (Worship) In Faith - cf. Heb. 11:4.
1. Will-worship (presumptuous) - Col. 2:23 (self-imposed), not God-ordained. It pleased Cain, but not God.
2. Cains offering showed a lack of faith in God! (Heb. 11:4)
3. Matt. 15:6-9 - We must reject/oppose vain worship!
B. Trying To Worship God Without Divine Authority Is Vain (the way of Cain)! Jno. 4:23-24 (Col. 3:17)
1. Illus.: Xmas (birth of Christ); instrumental music in worship; half-hearted worship; pretending to worship; etc.
2. God sees our worship - Gen. 4:5. What is He seeing???
II. CAIN CHOSE TO INCREASE HIS SIN - Gen. 4:5-8.
A. Sin Is Not Forced Upon Us, We Choose It - Gen. 4:7; Rom. 6:4-6, 12-14. Cain could have chosen repentance (4:7)!
B. The Sins Of Cain:
1. Anger - Gen. 4:5.
a. Incensed; the wrath was a fire in his soul. (cf. Col. 3:8)
b. People get angry when God doesnt accept them on their terms!
c. Retards & prevents kindness, compassion & forgiveness - Eph. 4:31-32.
2. Envy - Displeasure over seeing the success of another - Gen. 4:4-5. (Tit. 3:3; Gal. 5:21)
3. Hate - Malice, animosity, contempt, disdain: Opposite of love - 1 Jno. 3:11-12, 15. It is selfish, opportunistic, hurtful.
4. Murder - Gen. 4:8. Comes from the heart - cf. Mk. 7:20-23.
III. CAIN CHOSE TO LIE TO GOD - Gen. 4:9.
A. Men Try To Deceive/Fight Against God - Heb. 4:13.
1. Cain couldnt get away with lying to God (Anan. & Sapphira).
2. We lie to God when we:
a. Claim to love Him but do not love our brother (1 Jno. 4:20).
b. Claim to give as He prospered us while actually giving less.
c. Claim to be His people yet live by the worlds standards.
d. Say "Ill do better" (repent) but go on the same old way.
e. Sing godly sentiments but live unholy lives. (Eph. 5:19)
f. God is not mocked nor deceived! (Gal. 6:7)
3. No one escapes Gods wrath against liars - Rev. 21:8.
IV. CAIN CHOSE TO LEAVE THE PRESENCE OF GOD - Gen. 4:16.
A. Instead Of Repentance, Cain Chose Sin - 4:7-8.
1. Sin is ready to lunge, capture & control us! (1 Pet. 5:8)
2. God brings sinners under punishment - Gen. 4:11-12; Rom. 2:1-11; 2 Ths. 1:8-9.
3. Cain: Would no longer succeed as a farmer .banished to a life of wandering - Gen. 4:11-12.
4. Even then, Cain had no sorrow for his sins - Only sorrow & remorse over his punishment!! - Gen. 4:13-14
a. God could have executed Cain for his crime, but He spared his life, thus showing him mercy - Gen. 4:15.
b. Even when we sin God still shows us mercy - 2 Pet. 3:9.
B. Cain Left The Presence Of The Lord - Gen. 4:16.
1. Sin severs fellowship with God - Isa. 59:1-2.
2. The hardening effect of sin - Heb. 6:4-6; Eccl. 12:1.
3. Shall we allow sin to destroy our fellowship w/ God?
1. Cain was faithless -- He didnt know God:
a. Thought he could worship God his way & be accepted.
b. Thought he could murder his brother without responsibility.
c. Thought he could lie to God!
2. Cain "acquired" his fate by choosing to disobey God. What fate will you choose?