Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 2 Thessalonians 2:13-17
The Call of Christ
1. “God calling yet, shall I not hear...” Acts 2:39.
2. God calls sinners to be saved: “To invite, summon...it is used particularly of the Divine call to partake of the blessings of redemption...God’s invitation to man to accept the benefits of salvation” (Vine, I:163-165).
3. Christians are called to be Jesus Christ’s, Rom. 1:6-7.
4. Christ calls men to Himself through His gospel, 2 Ths. 2:13-14.
I. COME TO ME: THE CALL TO SALVATION, Matt. 11:28.
A. The Gospel Call to be Saved from Sin, Acts 2:37-41.
1. Respond to His call to remove the problem of sin, 11:28; Lk. 5:32; cf. Jer. 31:25.
2. Rest: Fellowship (1 Cor. 1:9); Into God’s kingdom and glory (1 Ths. 2:12); Promise of eternal inheritance (Heb. 9:15).
B. There is a Personal Obligation to Answer His Call, Matt. 11:28.
1. You have the ability to come, but God will not force you (Lk. 14:15-24). He uses the persuasion of the gospel to urge you to come to Him and be saved.
2. Picture of God’s call (by the gospel) and man’s response, Rom. 10:13-15, 9-10.
II. LEARN OF ME: THE CALL TO SUBMISSION, Matt. 11:29.
A. Christ’s Yoke: Submission to His Authority, Matt. 28:18.
1. Yoke serves to couple two things together: Joined to Christ.
2. Needful traits before Christ and toward others, Eph. 4:1-2.
3. Easy yoke and light burden compared to weight and sorrow and death of sin, Matt. 11:28.
B. Answering Christ’s Call to Salvation is of No Value without Full Submission to Him in All Things, Gal. 5:7.
1. The necessity of learning truth, Eph. 4:20-21; Acts 2:42; 2 Pet. 3:18.
2. The necessity of respecting His lordship, 1 Pet. 3:15; Col. 3:17.
III. FOLLOW ME: THE CALL TO DISCIPLESHIP, Jno. 1:43.
A. Two Crucial Parts to Being a Disciple of Christ Matt. 8:18-22.
1. Sacrifice (8:20), Lk. 9:23.
a. Deny (reject) sin, self, comfort (cross), etc.
b. Count all things loss in order to gain Christ, Phil. 3:7-8.
2. Priority (8:21-22), cf. Lk. 14:26, 33.
a. Requires planning and resolve, Lk. 14:28-32.
b. Requires supreme commitment, Lk. 9:61-62.
B. The Call to Discipleship is a Call of Assurance, Rom. 8:28-30.
1. When Christ calls us to follow Him He is calling us to trust Him implicitly with our whole being.
2. Secure your calling and election by faithful growth to maturity, 2 Pet. 1:10 (5-9); Eph. 4:1.
3. We must be trustworthy disciples, 1 Pet. 2:9-10.
1. In Christ, God is calling sinners to salvation, to submission and to faithful discipleship.
2. Answer the call of Christ today and be saved from your sins.
3. If you have answered His call but have fallen from the joy of knowing the “hope of His calling”, then repent and pray. (Eph. 1:15-18)
4. Then, “press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” (Phil. 3:14).
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: November 2, 2012