Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 5:24-30
The Calls of Life
1. The phone rings, and we look at the call ID to decide whether to answer the call.
2. There are four calls in life; three of which everyone will answer.
3. If we do not answer the other call, each of the remaining calls will bring us untold sorrow, pain and despair.
I. THE DEATH CALL.
A. Man has No Choice but to Answer this Call, Heb. 9:27 (Eccl. 3:2; 2:14; 7:2).
B. Death’s Call May Come at Any Time, Jas. 4:14.
C. Death has the Power of Fear and Bondage over the Lost, Heb. 2:14-15.
-In Christ one finds release and relief, Phil. 1:21.
-We all must live in preparation for this call, Jas. 4:15; Lk. 12:15-21.
II. THE RESURRECTION CALL.
A. This Call Affirms that Christ was Raised, and Our Life in Christ is not in Vain, 1 Cor. 15:16-20.
B. “If a Man Dies, Shall He Live Again?” Job 14:14 (Yes)
1. Challenge you to read/grasp the meaning of John 5:28-29:
a. All will hear His voice, be raised eternally, 5:28; 1 Cor. 15:20-22.
b. But, not all will be saved, 5:29; Acts 24:15.
c. Victory over sin and death, 1 Cor. 15:55-57.
2. Resurrection of the dead, Jno. 11:23-25:
a. Affirmed by Jesus, Matt. 22:31-32.
b. Explained by the Holy Spirit, 1 Cor. 15:35-49.
III. THE JUDGMENT CALL (the final call).
A. After Our Appointment with Death, Judgment Comes, Heb. 9:27.
1. Call of accountability, Rom. 14:10-12.
2. Call to receive reward or punishment, 2 Cor. 5:10.
B. Amos Warns from the OT: “Prepare to Meet Your God,” Amos 4:12.
1. Judgment according to truth, righteous and impartial, Rom. 2:1-11.
a. Merciful, kind and glorious to those “work(s) what is good,” 2:10.
b. Wrath, tribulation and anguish to those who “obey unrighteousness,” 2:8-9.
C. Submit to the Righteousness of God, Rom. 10:1-6.
1. Repent of sins, because judgment is coming, Acts 17:30-31.
2. Judge yourself now, and live by faith, to avoid judgment of the ungodly, 1 Pet. 4:17-19.
3. Firm foundation stands: God knows His people, and so we must depart from unrighteousness, 2 Tim. 2:19.
4. Beware, for Jesus said, Matt. 7:21-23; cf. 2 Pet. 1:10-11.
IV. THE GOSPEL CALL (Acts 2:39).
A. Call to Salvation by the Gospel, Rom. 1:16-17; 2 Thess. 2:13-14.
1. Sanctification (from sin and unto God) and belief...to obtain glory.
2. Called by God out of darkness into His marvelous light, 1 Pet. 2:9.
3. Called by God into fellowship with His Son, 1 Cor. 1:9.
B. Call to Hear and Obey Words of Jesus, Matt. 7:24-27.
-Hear the words of Jesus and do them:
-Believe – Confession – Repent – Baptized – Live Faithfully, Jno. 8:24; Matt. 10:32-33; Lk. 13:3, 5; Matt. 28:18-20.
C. You are not Forced to Respond to the Gospel Call: Voluntary, Acts 2:21, 40-41.
1. Whoever desires, Rev. 22:17.
2. If anyone desires to come after Me..., Matt. 16:24.
3. Answering the gospel call requires a voluntary response of doing God’s will.
4. Although we have a choice, we dare not neglect it, 2 Thess. 1:7-9; Heb. 2:3.
1. We will all answer the call of death, resurrection and judgment.
2. Whether we answer the gospel call of salvation will determine whether those calls will be unto eternal life, or eternal destruction.
(Adapted from outline by Gary Johnsen for David Baker funeral, 5/27/17)
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: June 1, 2017