Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 61
You Cannot Hide Sin
1. The truth is, our sin “will find us out”. Moses warned the Transjordan tribes it would be so if they did not keep their word and help their brethren take the land of Canaan, Num 32:23.
2. Men and women still futilely attempt to hide sin instead of hiding themselves in the shelter of God’s merciful forgiveness (Psa. 61).
I. BIBLE EXAMPLES OF TRYING TO HIDE SIN.
A. Adam and Eve, Gen. 3:1-13.
1. Trying to hide sin is as old as sin itself!
2. Eyes were opened to the shame and death of sin, not to “wisdom” that made them “like God”, 3:5.
3. Blaming others does not hide our sin from God, 3:12-13.
B. Achan, Josh. 6-7.
1. God’s word was clear: All in Jericho devoted to God, 6:18-19.
2. Camp of Israel troubled at Ai because of Achan’s sin, 7:1, 5, 6-13.
3. Tried to hide the evidence of his sin. (cf. 1 Ths. 5:7; Jno. 3:20)
4. Achan’s confession, covetous deed and condemnation, 7:19-25.
C. David, 2 Sam. 11-12.
1. The sin, 2 Sam. 11:2-5.
2. The cover up, 2 Sam. 11:6-26. (Tried to hide sin with more sin.)
a. Step 1: Diversion, 11:6-11.
b. Step 2: Drunkenness, 11:12-13.
c. Step 3: Conspiracy to commit murder, 11:14-15 (16-26).
3. God saw it all, 11:27.
4. Nathan’s parable exposed David’s sins, 12:1-15.
a. Often need someone to point out our sins to us.
b. Like David, we must fully repent (Psa. 32; 51), Prov. 28:13-14.
D. Ananias and Sapphira, Acts 5:1-11.
1. They wore a cloak of faithful piety to cover their covetousness.
2. Covering up sin is not only a lie to men, it is lying to God.
II. WHY PEOPLE THINK THEY CAN HIDE THEIR SINS.
A. They Think God is Like a Man, Psa. 50:21.
1. They think God can be fooled; that they can outsmart God.
2. Such deceive themselves; God is not mocked, Gal. 6:7-8.
B. They Fail to Remember that God is All-Knowing, Psa. 94:4-7.
-You are not hidden from His sight, Heb. 4:13; Psa. 139:7.
C. They Think God will Forget their Sins, Psa. 10:11-13.
-His understanding is infinite, Psa. 147:5-6; Isa. 40:28.
D. They Think God Will Change His Mind About Sin, Num. 23:19.
III. WE MUST REPENT INSTEAD OF TRYING TO HIDE OUR SINS, Acts 17:30.
A. Must Confess Sin (as Achan did), Josh. 7:20-21.
B. Need to Acknowledge our Sin when Confronted with it (as David did), 2 Sam. 12:13; Psa. 32:5; 51:3-4; 1 Jno. 1:7-9.
-Prompted by godly sorrow to repent, 2 Cor. 7:10.
C. Must Humble Ourselves before God, Jas. 4:8-10.
1. What shall we do? Repent and be baptized, Acts 2:37-38.
2. Better to see our sin now and repent, than in trying to hide it have to face it before God on Judgment Day. 2 Cor. 5:10
-Developed from chart lesson by Rody Gumpad
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: November 9, 2012