Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Luke 1:26-33
The Kingdom of Christ
Things Concerning Christ (#7)
1. OT predicted a king ruling over insurmountable kingdom: Psa. 2:6-7; 110:1-3; 132:11; Isa. 9:6-7; Dan. 2:44; 7:13-14. Fulfilled, Lk. 1:30-33.
2. Many do not believe the kingdom of Christ was established in NT days or that it exists today. They look for a kingdom to come.
a. Kingdom: “Sovereignty, royal power, dominion...a realm”; “the territory subject to the rule of a king.”
b. Either His kingdom exists today or it does not; Either Jesus, as King, is sovereign ruler over His kingdom today, or He is not.
3. The presence of the kingdom of Christ is real and forever changes the life of the person who enters it (Heb. 12:28).
1. Jesus announced the approach of the kingdom.
-Matt. 4:17: Coming kingdom was “at hand” (near, close, Matt. 26:18, 46; 2 Tim. 4:6), Lk. 10:9.
2. Jesus preached the gospel of the kingdom.
-Matt. 4:23: Good news of the kingdom (Lk. 9:11), citizenship, Matt. 5-7.
-Matt. 13:10-11, 18-19: Gospel is the “word of the kingdom” that teaches us how to live in the kingdom.
3. Jesus identified His kingdom.
-Matt. 16:16-19: The church of Christ is the kingdom of Christ!
-Matt. 16:18, 28: The church would be built…Son of Man would come in His kingdom.
-Eph. 1:20-23: Fulfillment of Dan. 7:13-14…church is His kingdom.
4. Jesus identified the nature of His kingdom.
-Jno. 18:36: Not of this world…
a. Spiritual (spiritual relationship; meets spiritual needs of mankind) Lk. 17:20-21; Rom. 14:17; cf. 1 Pet. 3:15 (heart...life).
b. Superior to the kingdoms of earth, Dan. 2:44.
c. Eternal in its duration, Lk. 1:33.
5. Jesus prophesied the establishment of the kingdom.
-Mk. 9:1: That generation would see the powerful arrival of kingdom.
-Lk. 12:32: The Father’s good pleasure to give “you” the kingdom.
-Fulfilled on Pentecost , Lk. 24:49; Acts 1:6-8; 2:1-4 (47).
-Kingdom of Christ exists now…we don’t look for future establishment.
6. Kingdom was proclaimed as present by apostles and prophets.
-Acts 8:12: Things concerning the kingdom of God (see above).
-Acts 20:25: Paul preached kingdom of God…gospel of grace (20:24).
-1 Ths. 2:12: God is calling people into His kingdom (1 Cor. 1:9: into fellowship with Christ; Fellowship with Christ is in God’s kingdom).
-Rev. 1:9: John a companion (partaker, participated) with brethren in the kingdom of Christ Jesus.
7. Remission of sins is obtained in the kingdom.
-Rev. 1:5-6: Ruler over kings washed us in His blood (Does Jesus ruler over kings but not over the saved? (A ruler without a kingdom?)
-Rev. 5:9-10: Redeemed are a kingdom that reigns (triumphs) on earth
8. Salvation depends on entering the kingdom.
-Lk. 16:16: Pressing toward it for salvation (Lk. 13:23-24).
-Jno. 3:3-5: Entrance into the kingdom essential for salvation.
-Acts 13:32-39 (Psa. 2:7 fulfilled): Mercy…forgiveness of sins.
-Col. 1:13: Delivered out of darkness and conveyed into the kingdom.
-Acts 2:47: Saved are added to the church (the kingdom).
9. Our daily purpose and priority must be the kingdom of God.
-Matt. 6:33: Our duty is to advance the kingdom of Christ among men.
-Do this by making the King’s will our priority of life.
-Our interests, motives, objectives and conduct are for its honor and advancement. As a result, Christ is advanced.
-Lk. 9:62: Establishes our acceptance in the kingdom.
1. Kingdom of Christ exists, is mighty and its glory secure, Heb. 12:28.
2. We must live in Christ’s kingdom NOW in order to enter heaven LATER, 2 Pet. 1:10-11.
3. Hear God’s call to enter His kingdom and obey the gospel now.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: September 26, 2014