Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Colossians 1:24-29
The Reign of Christ in You
1. The reign (supreme rule) of Christ is well established in the Scriptures, Psa 2:6-8; Isa 9:6-7; Lk 1:32-33; Acts 13:32-33; Rom 15:12; 1 Cor 15:23.
2. There is certainly a future element to the reign of Christ and our reign with Him, 2 Tim 2:12; Rev 3:21; 22:4.
3. The present supremacy of Christ in our lives is the essence of His kingdom reign, Lk 17:20-21; Matt 6:33; Eph 2:7.
4. When we honor His present rule in our lives it radically changes everything about us! Phil 1:27-30; 3:20-21
I. CHRIST IN YOU, THE HOPE OF GLORY, Col 1:27.
A. Without Christ in You there is No Hope, Eph 2:12.
B. We Presently Stand in Grace and Rejoice in Hope, Rom 5:1-2.
-Our lives must show the grace of God and the joy of our living hope! (Shown in our values, conduct, priorities and choices…)
II. THE NATURE OF CHRIST’S REIGN, Jno 18:36-37.
-Not of this world; Regulated and blessed by truth.
A. Within: Christ Reigns in Our Hearts, Lk 17:20-21; Eph 3:17. (Through faith, not fear)
1. Christ reigns in your understanding, Eph 5:17; cf. Phil 2:5.
2. Christ reigns in your affections, Col 3:1-3; cf. 1 Pet 4:1-2.
3. Christ reigns in your conduct, 1 Pet 4:3; Eph 4:20-24. Christ must not only be why we live, but how we live!
B. As Subjects of Christ, Christians Show Their Submission by Completely Obeying Him, Eph 5:22-24.
1. We are sanctified for obedience, 1 Pet 1:2; cf. 2:9.
2. Else, we fail to truly submit to Him at all!
3. We fail to honor Jesus as Lord, Lk 6:46; Matt 7:21.
III. WHEN CHRIST REIGNS IN OUR LIVES, Eph 4:1.
A. Christ will Genuinely be Seen in Us, Col 2:5.
1. Community ramifications:
a. Marriage: Our obedience to Christ in marriage will be seen in fewer divorces and more resolute commitment to what God has joined together (Matt 19:6).
b. Family: Our obedience to Christ will show in what we teach our children; in the respect we give our parents, Eph 6:1-4.
c. Neighbors: How we love our neighbor as ourselves, Matt 22:39; Lk 10:36-37.
2. Religious ramifications:
a. Our love for and fear of God, Matt 10:28.
b. Rely on revealed truth, not self/wisdom, Col 2:3.
c. End hypocrisy in our lives, Matt 15:7-9.
3. Moral ramifications:
a. We will genuinely be salt and light, Matt 5:13-16.
b. Refuse the filth of the world for the purity of godliness, Eph 5:5-7.
B. We will Genuinely Stand Fast, Phil 1:27-28.
1. Attitude: In one spirit, with one mind, Eph 4:2-3 (Gal 5:26).
2. Action: Striving together for the faith of the gospel (1 Tim 6:12).
3. Reactive: Not “put to flight” by persecution, Prov 28:1.
C. We will Accept the Conflict and Challenges that Come Because of our Faith, Phil 1:28-30.
1. Christ has granted us to believe in Him (obtain the blessings of faith), cf. Eph 1:3; 2:4-7.
2. Christ has granted us to suffer for His sake, cf. Matt 5:10-12; 1 Pet 4:16.
a. A clear expression that Christ reigns in us is to suffer for Him rather than deny Him to escape the suffering.
b. Paul’s example of suffering, Phil 2:17-18.
1. Eternal reign with Christ given to all who remain faithful to the point of death, Rev 20:4 (6:9-11).
2. Those who do not want the Lord Jesus to reign over them will be eternally lost! Lk 19:14, 27
3. The King offers redemption/forgiveness – or be crushed under His righteous wrath and judgment, cf. Psa 2:8-12.