Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Matthew 27:20-26
Shall I Crucify My Savior?
1. God came to men (His own) and they rejected Him, Jno 1:1, 11.
2. Jesus betrayed by a friend, Jno 13:18.
a. We, too, have “eaten” of His bread (Jno 6:35, 48, 51).
b. Shall we lift up our heel against Him?
3. Religious leaders led the movement to crucify Him (Jno 11:47-53; 19:6).
4. Some crucify Him today, Heb 6:6; 10:26-29.
5. Examine what sins led them to crucify the Savior - and what can lead us to do the same.
I. IGNORANCE LED TO CRUCIFYING JESUS.
A. Their Eyes were Closed to Who Jesus Is, Matt 13:14-15; Lk 19:41-44. Led them to murder Him, Lk 23:34; Acts 3:17.
B. Many Try to Serve Christ, but in Ignorance, Acts 17:23; 1 Jno 2:4.
1. Zeal without knowledge…Lost, Rom 10:1-3.
2. Ignorance will not be overlooked, Acts 17:30.
C. You do not have to Remain in Ignorance, Acts 17:11; 1 Pet 2:2; 2 Pet 3:18; 2 Tim 2:15.
II. RELIGIOUS PREJUDICE LED TO CRUCIFYING JESUS, Mk 15:10.
A. A Powerful Motive to Reject the Evidence of Truth, Jno 11:45-53; 12:9-11. –cf. How to be saved, denominations, instrumental music in worship; work of local church; mdr and fellowship, etc.
B. A Major Obstacle to Obeying the Gospel, cf. Acts 15:1; Rom 9:30-33. When one allows rel. prejudice to control him he is crucifying Christ.
III. THE LOVE OF MONEY LED TO CRUCIFYING JESUS. (Greed)
A. Jesus had Opposed the Money-Driven Attitudes and Actions of the Day, Jno 2:14-17; Matt 21:12-13 (Lk 12:15).
B. The Love of Money Leads to Many Sorrows, 1 Tim 6:9-10.
1. Led to utter despair and suicide, Matt 26:14-16; 27:3-5.
2. Prevented eternal life, Matt 19:21-22.
3. What will your price be for crucifying Jesus? Matt 16:25-26
IV. LYING LED TO CRUCIFYING JESUS, Mk 14:55-58.
A. Dishonesty for Selfish Advantages (Matt 28: 12-15).
B. Always be Moved by Honesty, Eph 4:25 (Zech 8:16-17); Col 3:9-10.
1. There is no “situation” in which lying is acceptable (sinless).
2. Lying is Satan’s tool to “kill” Jesus in our lives.
V. COWARDICE LED TO CRUCIFYING JESUS, Matt 27:1-24.
A. Judas: A Coward who Lost his Faith, Matt 27:3-5.
-Instead of turning back to the truth and standing for it, he despaired in hopelessness and killed himself.
B. Religious Leaders: Hypocritical Cowards who Protected and Abused their Power.
1. Devoted to wickedness, they could pay a bribe to kill an innocent man, but refused the blood money they sanctioned for the bribe! Matt 27:4, 7
2. Envious cowards (27:18) who falsely accused Jesus and persuaded an ignorant crowd, Matt 27:12, 20, 25.
C. Pilate: A Coward with Blood-Stained Hands, Matt 27:24.
1. In spite of:
a. Knowing of the envy of the Jewish religious leaders (27:18).
b. His wife’s warning (27:19).
c. No evidence of crime (27:23, 24).
2. Pathetic picture of a leader who did not have the courage to protect an innocent man.
3. Courage is essential as we face the trials of faith, 2 Pet 1:5 (1 Cor 16:13).
4. Are our hands red with the blood of the Savior? Rev 21:7-8
1. After witnessing Christ’s grace and power for three years, all His apostles deserted Him, Matt 26:56.
2. Their failure of faith should warn us and teach us that we can crucify our Savior! Heb 6:4-6
3. ”Shall I Crucify My Savior?”