Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Ephesians 5:1-7
Desensitized to Sin (2)
1. Review Part 1: We become desensitized to sin because of (1) Lack of knowledge, (2) Failure to put off the old man, (3) Worldly influences, (4) Complacency toward God’s will, and (5) Stubborn rebellion.
2. Continue, by exhorting that we renew our minds and our sensitivity toward immorality and error. Gal. 5:7
I. RENEW OUR SENSITIVITY TOWARD… (Acts 2:37)
A. Immodest Clothing, 1 Tim. 2:9-10; cf. Prov. 7:10; Jer. 6:15.
(kosmios): “Orderly, well-arranged, decent...” - (Vine).
a. “Respectable, honorable” (Arndt & Gingrich); 1 Tim. 3:2.
b. Used by 1st century writers to contrast with revealing clothes.
2. Shamefastness (aidos) “Propriety” (NKJV) - “A sense of shame, modesty”- (Vine).
a. “That modesty which is ‘fast’ rooted in the character.”
b. Word was used in Gk. for opposite of “promiscuous” (ability to blush, Jer. 6:15).
3. Sobriety (sophrosune): “Soundness of mind...sound judgment.”
a. “It is that habitual inner self-government, with its constant rein on all the passions and desires, which would hinder the temptation to these from arising...” (Vine). (discreet, Tit. 2:5)
b. Free from the intoxicants of worldly values and lusts.
4. Application: Revealing blouses, dresses, short shorts, skin-tight stretch pants, yoga pants, etc.
5. We must see immodest clothing as shameful (not attractive), as indecent (not cute). Isa. 47:2-3
B. Profanity, Eph. 4:29. (crude, base language)
1. Euphemism: “the substitution of a mild, indirect, or vague expression for one thought to be offensively blunt or harsh” (Webster’s).
-Gee: “euphemism for Jesus” (Merriam-Webster Online).
-Gosh: “euphemism for God; used as a mild oath or to express surprise.”
-Golly: “euphemism for God; used as a mild oath or to express surprise.”
-Lordy: “Oh, Lord.” | Darn: “to curse, damn.”
-Dang: “damn (used euphemistically).”
-Shoot: “euphemism for sh_t – used to express annoyance or surprise.”
-Blast(ed): “(euphemistically) to curse, damn.”
-Blue blazes: “slang; hell.” | Dog gone: “God da_n.”
-Talk out his “b_tt hole”
3. Speech should be: Sound (Tit. 2:8); gracious and seasoned (Col. 4:6); truth in love (Eph. 4:15); boldness (2 Cor. 3:12); as the oracles of God (1 Pet. 4:11). – All this can be done without cursing and using euphemistic curse words.
C. Fornication (adultery, homosexuality), 1 Cor. 6:9-10.
1. Adultery and premarital sex is commonplace.
2. Entertainment industry for past 30 years gradually introduced homosexuality into our living rooms.
3. Flee fornication, 1 Cor. 6:18.
D. Doctrinal Error, 2 Tim. 4:3-4.
1. “Truth is relative…nobody agrees on everything…everybody does some things without Bible authority…stop judging others…etc.”
2. Christ continues to teach us to maintain purity of doctrine and lives, Gal. 1:6-10; Rom. 16:17; 2 Jno. 9-11.
E. Lost Souls, Matt. 9:36-38.
1. We must be touched by the tragedy of lost souls before we will try to help save them!
2. We value many other things higher than the soul, Matt. 16:26.
When we become desensitized to the world and its sins, and to God’s truth, we will surely be lost. (cf. Jno. 17:14-19)
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: August 17, 2017