Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 4:14-16
Your Adversary, the Devil: His Temptations
1. Satan entices us to sin by using our strong desires, Jas. 1:13-14.
2. Strong faith in Christ is essential to overcoming, Eph. 6:10-11.
I. RESISTING THE TEMPTATIONS OF SATAN.
A. His Temptations can be Resisted, 1 Cor. 10:13; Eph. 4:27 (6:11-13).
B. Satan is Overcome by Three Fundamental Things, Rev. 12:11.
1. The blood of Jesus, Heb. 2:14-15.
2. The word of God (the gospel, truth), Eph. 6:13-17.
3. Self-denying faith (godly priorities), Rev. 2:10. Personal faith at work; faith that sacrifices self in order to serve God.
C. How We Resist the Temptations of Our Enemy, the Devil.
1. Become a Christian; Saved by the blood of Jesus, Acts 22:16.
2. Identify, understand and avoid his deceptive methods, 2 Cor. 2:11; 11:3. We must know his tactics. The word of God must have prime place in our hearts (Psa. 119:10-11).
3. Flee from the temptation, 2 Tim. 2:22; 1 Thess. 5:21-22. Self-denial
4. Confront the devil, Jas. 4:7. Stand opposite to him, against.
a. Jesus did, Matt. 4:10; 16:23. (Word of God)
b. Withstand temptations with steadfast faith and truth, 1 Pet. 5:9.
5. Pray with watchfulness, Matt. 26:41.
6. Realize you are not alone, 1 Pet. 5:9 (1 Cor. 10:13). Our brotherhood is a strong help to withstand temptation. Common faith.
7. Develop a greater desire for God’s blessing through endurance than sin’s pleasure through indulgence, Jas. 1:12. (Faith at work)
8. Trust God’s ability to deliver us, Matt. 6:13; 2 Pet. 2:9. Word of God, Heb. 13:5-6.
1. Christ is touched with sympathy and has compassion for us in our weaknesses (when the temptation prevails, we yield and we sin), Heb. 4:15.
2. God’s throne of grace is our bold relief and sure hope in our time of need, Heb. 4:16; 2:18.
3. “Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down. And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.” (Rev. 12:10–11)
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: July 6, 2016