Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Luke 12:13-21
"I Died Last Night"
1. Story told of a business man who goes to his financial advisor each year and says: “I died last night. Tell me what happened to my family, my business and my estate.”
2. If he had actually died last night, financial interests would not have been his interest, cf. Lk 12:19-20; 16:19, 24.
3. Stephen was ready to die: He looked forward to the world to come, saying “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit”, and back at world he was leaving and prayed for his murderers’ forgiveness, Acts 7:59-60.
4. Suppose you died last night. What would be your concern, and what would be important to you? (Money, business, honor, recreation, etc.)
5. We would be most concerned with spiritual matters, including the answers to the following questions:
I. DID YOU OBEY THE GOSPEL? (“Was I saved? Was I a Christian?”)
A. What is Gospel Obedience? Rom 10:15-17
1. Submissive response due to hearing and believing, Matt 7:21.
2. Doing the things that please God, cf. Jno 8:29 (Heb 5:8-9).
3. Gospel has commands that must be obeyed, Jno 8:24; Acts 17:30; Rom 10:9-10; Mk 16:16; Rom 12:1-2.
B. Punishment for Disobedience, 2 Ths 1:7-9.
C. Reward for Obedience, 2 Ths 1:10; Rev 14:12-13 (2 Tim 4:7-8).
D. Have You Obeyed the Gospel?
1. “When I get older” or “I intend to” or “baptism not necessary.”
2. Remember: You died last night–you have no more opportunity.
3. In view of eternity, where are you standing now?!
II. WERE YOU FAITHFUL TO THE LORD? cf. Timothy, Phil 2:19-22
-Could the Lord rely on me? Was I a trustworthy, dependable disciple?
-Your life is flashing before you:
A. Were You Faithful to...
1. Learn and grow in the Lord, 2 Pet 3:18; 2 Tim 2:15.
2. Use your abilities to honor the Lord, Matt 25:24-26 (Jas 4:17).
3. Pray to the Lord? Phil 4:6 (Lk 18:1); Jas 5:16; 1 Tim 2:1-2.
4. Teach and defend the truth? 1 Pet 3:15-16
5. Abstain from / renounce evil, 1 Ths 5:22 (1 Pet 1:15-16).
6. Sacrificial and giving person, Mk 12:44; 2 Cor 9:6-7.
B. A Good Beginning is not Enough, Col 2:6-7; 1 Cor 10:12.
1. Remember: You died last night –
a. “I meant to be more faithful to the Lord.”
b. “If I had just lived a little longer I would have studied my Bible and been a worker for the Lord.”
c. “I was a lot better than most people around me!” 2 Cor 10:12
2. Lay aside every hindrance and every sin, Heb 12:1-2.
III. DID YOU WIN A SOUL FOR CHRIST? Prov 11:30
A. Were You a Luminary of Righteousness in the Darkness? Matt 5:14-16 (Were you a voice crying in the wilderness?)
1. By your example and influence on others, 1 Tim 4:12 (Phil 3:17).
2. By teaching the gospel to persuade the lost, 2 Cor 5:11.
3. Remember: You died last night –
a. Will you hear someone say, “You never mentioned him to me”? or, “I didn’t know you were a Christian!”?
b. Will you say, “Lord Jesus, I intended to be a good example; I wanted to teach the lost” – maybe, but did you?
4. Opportunities: Gospel meeting, friend, family member, etc.
IV. DID YOU MAKE LIFE EASIER FOR SOMEONE ELSE? Jas 1:27
A. Love Your Neighbor as Yourself, Matt 22:39; cf. 25:31-46.
1. Did you treat others how you wanted to be treated? Matt 7:12
a. Gossip, backbiting, tale-bearing, etc.
b. Kindness, respect, love – Spouse, parents, children, brethren.
2. Remember: You died last night –
-What will your answer be?
V. WHAT INFLUENCE DID YOU LEAVE BEHIND?
A. Was Your Influence Felt by…
1. A life lived giving God first place in everything? Matt 6:33
2. A name held in honor? Prov 22:1; 10:7
-Kindness, generous, integrity, holiness, etc.
3. A legacy of faithfulness to God, Heb 11:4.
4. Remember: You died last night – What influence did you leave?
1. Are you satisfied with what you saw, if you died last night?
2. You didn’t die last night, but one day you will. Are you ready to live for Him today? Are you ready to meet your God? Heb 9:27