Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Luke 13:35-40
What Will I Do Today?
1. A new year brings a sense of renewal; new opportunities, new goals or renewing old ones.
2. The time for New Year resolutions (usually broken by mid-January).
3. Instead of failing to plan and thus planning to fail, why not honestly answer some questions about ourselves today and then commit ourselves to addressing the problem areas using God's truth as our remedy?
I. WHAT WOULD I DO IF I KNEW I WOULD DIE TODAY?
A. Am I Ready to Face God in Judgment? Lk. 12:15-21; Heb. 9:27; 10:31
1. Sin issue: Am I a Christian?
2. Sin issue: Am I being faithful to Christ?
-GOD'S ANSWER: Do not wait, Acts 22:16.
1. Life is brief and uncertain, Jas. 4:13-15.
2. Learn to "number" our days with hearts of wisdom, Psa. 90:12.
3. Resolve sin problems through repentance/renewal, Psa. 51:10-13.
4. Live for eternity (heaven), Phil. 3:12-14.
B. Is there Anything I Should Say or Do to Improve a Faltering Relationship in My Life? Matt. 5:23-26; 18:15; cf. Lev. 19:17-18 ("not bear sin because of him")
1. Toward your child, parent or sibling?
2. Toward a fellow Christian?
3. Toward an enemy?
-GOD'S ANSWER: Live peaceably with all men, Rom. 12:17-19.
1. Pursue peace and avoid bitterness, Heb. 12:14-15.
2. Nurture brotherly relationships, Gen. 13:8.
3. Model ourselves after the Lord God, Matt. 5:44-45.
C. Am I Taking Responsibility for Myself or Blaming Others?
1. To do all I can to help strengthen this church? Eph. 4:16
-As an elder? A preacher? Member?
2. To be a loving, respectful, supportive spouse? Eph. 5:22-25
3. To be a parent (grandparent) who nurtures and guides? Eph. 6:4
4. To be a dependable and helpful sibling? Lk. 15:27-28
-GOD'S ANSWER: Be a faithful and wise steward, Lk. 12:41-48.
1. Bear your own responsibility, Gal. 6:5.
2. Accept that you are accountable for yourself, Rom. 14:12.
3. Be an encourager of others, cf. Barnabas, Acts 4:36; 11:22-24.
1. Certainly other questions to ask ourselves, 2 Cor. 13:5 (examine: “to subject to a test” as coins are tested to determine their genuineness and their full weight.)
2. We don't know whether we have tomorrow or another year, but we do have today. We must do good while we have this moment. Jas. 4:15, 17
3. Some of us may "go the way of all the earth" this year (1 Kgs. 2:2). Let us be ready today, and use every day we are given to live closer to God and closer to each other in God's family.
 Lenski, R. C. H. (1963). The Interpretation of St. Paul’s First and Second Epistle to the Corinthians (p. 1332). Minneapolis, MN: Augsburg Publishing House.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: December 29, 2015