Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Matthew 7:13-20
False Things on the Broad Way
1. Everything religious is not genuine and pure, Jas. 1:26-27.
a. Ex. Cain (of the evil one); Nadab and Abihu (Lev. 10:1).
b. Not everyone who says “Lord, Lord…,” Lk. 6:46.
2. The broad way to destruction is lined with false things that appear to be true, but they are deadly to the soul, Matt. 7:13-14.
I. BEWARE OF FALSE PROPHETS, Matt. 7:15-20.
A. There Really are False Prophets, 1 Jno. 4:1.
1. Many false prophets in Israel, Jer. 14:14-16; Ezek. 13:1-7.
2. Many false prophets in the first century, Matt. 24:5.
3. Many false prophets today, 2 Pet. 2:1-3.
B. Deceptive Teachings, Jer. 14:14 (15) (wolves in sheep’s clothing).
1. From their own heart, not from the mouth of the Lord, Jer. 23:16.
2. Ministers of Satan, 2 Cor. 11:13-15.
C. Known by their Fruit, Deut. 18:21-22 (the fruit of their teaching).
1. Does their prediction come about? Hananiah, Jer. 27:14; 28:1-3
2. Made the people trust in a lie and taught rebellion, Jer. 28:15-17.
3. Beware false prophets today:
a. Who teach falsely about how to be saved.
b. Who teach falsely about the return of Jesus and the kingdom.
c. Teach falsely about God and heaven.
II. BEWARE OF FALSE FAITH, Matt. 7:21-23.
A. Faith becomes False when We Practice Lawlessness, Matt. 7:22-23 (1 Jno. 3:4-7); Jude 4.
1. Cannot claim the name of Christ, but practice sin: False faith.
2. Cannot claim the name of Christ but act without His authority: False faith.
B. There is Only One Faith, Eph. 4:5 (Rom. 1:16-17).
1. Gospel faith delivers the lost from the power of darkness and transfers him/her into the kingdom (redemption), Col. 1:13-14.
2. Redeemed by doing the will of the Father: Hope of heaven.
III. BEWARE OF A FALSE FOUNDATION, Matt. 7:24-27.
A. False Foundations Include:
1. My conscience, Acts 23:1.
2. My family faith, Matt. 10:37.
3. My feelings, Jer. 10:23; 17:9.
4. My experiences, Acts 8:9-11.
IV. CHRIST HAS COMPLETE AUTHORITY, Matt. 7:28-29.
A. To Speak Truth and Expose Error (false prophets), Acts 3:22-23 (Jno. 8:31-32).
B. To Be the Solid Foundation of our Faith, 1 Cor. 3:11.
C. To Judge Our Faith (genuine or counterfeit), 2 Cor. 5:10.
1. Avoid the wide gate and the broad way, for it leads to destruction.
2. Enter by the narrow gate, for although its way is confined (by truth), it leads to life eternal.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted September 4, 2020