Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Luke 13:22-27
A Few Things
1. God wants all
men to be saved,
1 Tim. 2:3-4;
2 Pet. 3:9.
2. Yet, most reject the Christ due to spiritual blindness, Jno. 12:37-40.
3. Where will you spend your eternity?
I. JESUS SAID FEW ARE SAVE, Matt. 7:13-14.
A. It is False Security to Think Everybody Goes to Heaven, Matt. 7:13-14.
1. How many are
a. cf. Noah, 1 Pet. 3:20: 8 out of the whole world.
b. Only Joshua and Caleb entered Canaan out of 2-3 million.
2. Who goes to heaven? Matt. 7:21-23, 24-27
a. Those who do the Father's will, Matt. 7:21-23.
b. These are those who hear and obey Jesus, Matt. 7:24-27; Heb. 5:9.
3. The “chosen” are saved, Matt. 20:16; 22:14. Who are they?
B. Those Who Strive to Enter the Narrow Gate, Lk. 13:23-24 (16:16).
1. Strive (AV, strive 3, fight 3, labour fervently 1; 7): “metaph. to contend, struggle, with difficulties and dangers...to endeavour with strenuous zeal, strive: to obtain something" (Thayer).
a. Against unbelief, Acts 26:27-28 (Agrippa didn't strive to believe).
b. Against sin, cf. Lk. 19:8-10 (Zacchaeus strove against sin).
2. Personal choices being made right now, Josh. 24:15; 2 Cor. 6:2.
II. JESUS SAID THERE
ARE FEW LABORERS,
A. Those Who Truly Care for the Spiritual Welfare of Others, Phil. 2:19-22 (servant heart, Matt. 20:26-28). Godly motives at work.
1. Not complacent and lethargic, but zealous, Rom. 12:11.
2. Stagnation kill kills congregations, cf. Rev. 3:1.
B. Those Who Serve Instead of being Served, 3 Jno. 9-10.
1. “Rule or ruin” is the motto (real or implied) of too many.
2. Often subtle:
Ruin reputations, confidence in others, effectiveness of one's influence and the
gospel by slander, gossip and opposition to godly work,
3 Jno. 9-10
(prating: “to talk long and idly”; akin to Middle Low German pratten, to
C. Those Who Preach the Whole Counsel of God, Acts 20:26-28.
1. Preachers who preach it, 2 Tim. 4:2.
2. Elders who will feed the flock (not themselves), Acts 20:28.
3. Saints who will follow godly leadership, Heb. 13:17.
III. JESUS SAID TO BE FAITHFUL OVER A FEW THINGS, Matt. 25:21-23.
A. The Lord has Placed Something into Our Hands to be Used in His Service, Matt. 25:14-19, 21, 23, 25-30; cf. Exo. 4:2.
1. Abilities, possessions, communication skills, labor skills, teaching skills, etc.
2. Use it to serve the Lord, cf. Lk. 16:10.
1. Does Jesus have a few things against us? Rev. 2:14, 20
2. Or, are we among
the few who have not defiled themselves? The Lord knows our names,
3. Strive to enter the narrow gate that leads to heaven. Obey Jesus now.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: February 9, 2013