Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 97:1-9
From the Footstool to the Throne
1. We put up our feet to relax at the end of long day. Imagine if God did this; The earth would be His footstool (Gen. 2:2; Isa. 66:1).
2. Footstool of God is a figure used in Scripture from which our faith is strengthened and invigorated to fully honor and completely serve God.
I. THE FOOTSTOOL OF GOD.
-Earth (Isa. 66:1), Temple (1 Chron. 28:2), Jerusalem (Zion, Lam. 2:1).
A. Implies Utility (means/place of rest), 1 Chron. 28:2; 2 Chron. 9:18.
-Footstool is the place of service; opposite of the throne.
B. Implies Lowliness:
1. Being under authority due to humiliation of defeat and subjugation, Psa. 110:1-2; Heb. 10:13; 1 Cor. 15:25-27.
2. By humiliating (shameful) treatment from others, Jas. 2:3.
C. Ultimately, Footstools Perish, Heb. 1:10-13.
1. The earth (and heavens) in contrast to eternal Christ, 2 Pet. 3:10-13; 1 Cor. 15:27-28.
2. Enemies of Christ (physical and spiritual), 1:13.
3. The throne of God is eternal, Heb. 1:8; 1 Cor. 15:28.
II. WORSHIP FROM GODíS FOOTSTOOL.
A. The Earth Should Worship God, Isa. 66:1.
1. His creation, in humble recognition of His power, glory, and people, Psa. 148.
a. His name, 148:5, 13. Col. 3:16-17; Heb. 13:14-15
b. His glory, 148:13. Matt. 6:13
c. His people, 148:14. Acts 2:42
B. Israel Worshiped at the Temple, 1 Chron. 28:2; 1 Kgs. 8:26-29.
1. Worship at the His footstool, Psa. 99:5 (9); 132:7.
2. Holiness of God is the persuasive reason for reverent worship, Lev. 10:3; Rev. 4:8.
3. Reverence for His holiness is demanded of us, Heb. 12:28-29.
C. The Church Worships God before His Throne from His Footstool.
1. We are the temple of God (His abiding/resting place), Eph. 2:20-22; 1 Pet. 2:5.
2. Worship from earth reaches the heavenly throne, Acts 7:48-50.
3. Heb. 10:19-25: We draw near (from the footstool to the throne) by the blood of Jesus! Therefore, we hold fast and consider one another by not abandoning our assembling together.
III. LIFE ON GODíS FOOTSTOOL.
A. Life is Given and Sustained by God, Acts 14:15-17.
1. Earth is not supreme (ďMother EarthĒ).
2. Creative power gives us reason to worship Him, 14:15-16.
3. Living world is evidence of the living God, 14:17; 17:24-25.
a. And a fundamental reason to worship Him, cf. Acts 4:24.
b. How foolish to ignore and reject Him, Rom. 1:21-22.
B. Humble Respect and Love for God and Others, Matt. 22:37-39.
C. Prepare for the Destruction of the Footstool and an Eternity before Godís Throne.
1. Through salvation in Christ, Heb. 1:10-14.
2. Overcome (be faithful) and reign with Christ , Rev. 3:21.
a. His name, Rev. 3:12 (22:4).
b. His glory, Rev. 3:5 (22:5).
c. His people, Rev. 21:3.
1. We must not put our hopes and treasures in the footstool, but in Him who is on the throne.
2. Honor, worship and serve Him in humility, and He will exalt you in due time (1 Pet. 5:6).
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: October 17, 2018