Part 1 Power Point Show MP3 audio
Part 2 Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Nehemiah 8:1-3
"Give Me the Bible..."
1. Old hymn still stirs our hearts.
2. A new refrain is heard across the land in an increasing number of churches of Christ. One that undermines reliance on the Bible for all we say and do, Col. 3:17. One that vilifies Bible patterns as legalistic, stifling and void of grace.
3. “Give me the Bible” is being replaced with, “Give me human wisdom” and “give me my own will” (Col. 2:8).
I. “GIVE ME THE BIBLE…”
A. Except for When it Judges Me a Sinner.
1. The word of God exposes sin, Heb. 4:12; Acts 2:37.
2. How we react to it exposes us, Acts 7:54; 24:24-25.
B. Except for What it Says about the One True Church.
1. Church belongs to Jesus, bought with His blood, His body, one body, He saves His body, Matt. 16:18; Acts 20:28; Eph. 1:22-23; 4:4; 5:23.
2. Denominations are the result of falling away, 1 Tim. 4:1-3.
C. Except for What it Says about True Worship.
1. God seeks true worshipers, Jno. 4:23-24.
2. Singing + playing was Old Testament worship, 2 Chron. 29:25.
3. Singing is NT worship, Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16 (pattern).
4. Performances (choirs, solos, quartets, etc.); Dramatic portrayals
5. Regular assembly, Heb. 10:24-25.
6. Genuine participation, Matt. 15:8-9.
D. Except for What it Says about Marriage.
1. One man and one woman for life, Gen. 2:22-24; Heb. 13:4.
2. Living together without marriage is sinful.
3. Same-sex marriage is abomination (Lev. 18:22).
E. Except for What it Says about Divorce and Remarriage.
1. Sin to sunder what God joins together, Matt. 19:6.
2. One exception for ending a marriage with freedom to remarry (fornication, Matt. 5:31-32; 19:9; 1 Cor. 7:10-11 (Rom. 7:2-3).
3. Influence your unbelieving spouse, 1 Cor. 7:12-14 (1 Pet. 3:1-2).
4. Do not abandon God’s will to please spouse, 1 Cor. 7:15-16 (23).
F. Except for What it Says about Drinking Alcohol.
1. Drunkenness, Gal. 5:21.
2. Regarding alcoholic content: Today’s wine ~ Strong drink (intoxicating), Isa. 28:7; 5:11-12 (Hos. 4:11).
3. Drinking that leads to excess, 1 Pet. 4:3.
4. Why do we think the home (privacy) turns sin into goodness?
G. Except for What it Says about My Spiritual Growth.
1. When it says I’m still carnal, 1 Cor. 3:1-3.
2. When it says I should be a teacher, Heb. 5:12.
3. When it warns me of my spiritual neglect that leads to a hardened heart, Heb. 3:12-14.
1. The word of God is a great blessing to all who walk in it, Psa. 119:105.
2. It exposes our sin and teaches us of God’s great love, mercy and grace. It tells us of a Savior by whom we are forgiven and who shows us the way to the Father (Jno. 14:6).
3. The Bible corrects our sins and teaches us how to live faithfully in Christ.
4. “Give me the Bible” – No other book has its power! (Rom. 1:16)
By: Joe R. Price
Posted January 30, 2019