"Going to Church?"
1. It is easy to begin speaking like the world, but we want to speak where the Bible speaks and be silent where it is silent - Neh. 13:23-24; 1 Pet. 4:11.
2. This happens with religious/Biblical terms like "pastor" & "church."
3. More & more brethren speak of "going to church".
a. It may be an innocent expression picked up & commonly used.
b. It may belie a lack of understanding / misunderstanding about the church & what we do when we "come together."
I. LET'S "GO TO CHURCH!"
-(Generally means: Let's go to worship services.)
A. First Of All, Nowhere In The NT Do Christians "Go To Church:"
1. We can assemble "with the church" - Acts 11:26.
2. The church can gather together - Acts 14:27.
3. The church can come together as a church - 1 Cor. 11:17-18.
4. The church can come together in one place - 1 Cor. 11:20; 14:23.
5. The church can come together to eat the Lord's Supper - 1 Cor. 11:33.
B. We Must Understand What The Church Is.
1. "Called out ones"; an assembly, a gathering, congregation -- Whether spiritual or civil- cf. Acts 7:38; 19:32, 39, 41; Heb. 12:23.
2. Assembly of saved people: Applied universally (Matt. 16:18) & locally (1 Cor. 1:2).
C. In The Bible: To "Go To The Church" Means To Go To The Messiah & Be Saved! - Isa. 2:3; Micah 5:2 -- Acts 2:41, 47.
D. Let Us Speak As The Bible Speaks: Show our understanding / obedience to scripture by the words we use to convey our spiritual actions - 1 Pet. 4:11.
II. WHAT WE SHOULD BE DOING WHEN WE COME TOGETHER:
A. Go To Worship God - Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 11:20; cf. Heb. 2:12.
B. Go To Be Edified By True Worship - 1 Cor. 14:26 (Jno. 4:24).
C. Go To Edify Others - 1 Cor. 14:19, 26; Heb. 10:24-25.
III. WHY MORE DO NOT "GO TO WORSHIP SERVICES:"
-(All of these show a woeful lack of spiritual interest!)
A. "I'm Too Busy."
-Too busy to spare 4 hours a week to worship God & edify brethren? I don't believe it! (We waste more time than that each week!) - Eph. 5:16
B. "It's Boring."
1. Worship is not a spectator sport! Not entertainment! We get out of it what we put into it!
2. Perhaps you are bored because you haven't learned enough about what worship is! - cf. Psa. 122:1
C. "I Don't Like The Preacher."
1. You don't worship God for the sake of the preacher!
2. If you don't like him. He did/said something I didn't like.
-Did you talk to him about it & resolve it?! Get over it!!
3. I don't like what he preaches about.
-Suggest topics for study / sermons.
a. The preacher is not a perfect Christian - Rom. 3:23.
b. The preacher ought to do his work to please God, not man - Gal. 1:10.
D. "The People Are Unfriendly."
1. Are you being unfriendly when you speak of others this way?
2. Be friendly yourself! (Prov. 18:24)
E. "There Are Too Many Hypocrites There!"
1. Christians are sinners who seek God's forgiveness; Growing in faith & our ability to resist sin. We are not to be "living in sin" - Col. 3:5.
2. Every hypocrite will be in hell - Rev. 21:8. Do you want to join them there?!
3. Are you being hypocritical to say worship is important, but then you do not do so because there are hypocrites in the church?!
F. "All They Are Interested In Is My Money."
1. That is simply not true - cf. 2 Cor. 12:14.
2. Church should not apologize for needing funds to accomplish the work given to it by the Lord!
3. Christians want to give as they have received - cf. Matt. 10:8; 2 Cor. 9:6-10.
1. Our coming together is for spiritual service to God & edification of saints.
2. Will you "go to the house of the Lord" (church) by being saved?
3. Will you "go to worship" for the right reasons?