GOD IN EPHESIANS
1. Rom. 1:19-23 - God has displayed His power & divinity. Foolish & sinful to ignore Him & reject Him.
2. Acts 14:15; 17:23-29 - A living God who deserves & demands our allegiance -- on His terms!
3. 1 Cor. 8:5-6 - Must know this "one God" (Eph. 4:6; 2 Ths. 1:8).
4. Ephesians gives us a profile of the one true God.
I. GOD PROVIDES US ALL SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS IN CHRIST - 1:3-11.
A. Every Spiritual Blessing (1:3):
1. 1:4 - Chosen to be spotless before Him.
2. 1:5 - Sonship (Jno. 1:12).
3. 1:6 - Grace freely given.
4. 1:7 - Redemption.
5. 1:9 - Knowledge of His will.
6. 1:11 - Obtained an inheritance (1 Pet. 1:4).
B. These Blessings Are "In Christ" - 1:3.
-None are elsewhere - Seek to be in Christ! Gal. 3:26-28; Matt. 28:19
II. GOD IS A GOD OF MERCY - 2:1-10.
A. The Bankrupt Life Of The Lost - 2:1-3.
B. God Had Other Plans For Us! - 2:4-10.
1. 2:4 - Rich in mercy & love - Rom. 5:8 (Jno. 3:16).
2. 2:5-6 - Made us alive...raised up to spiritual heights!
3. 2:7 - Effect - He shows His grace through us (1 Pet. 2:9).
4. 2:8-10 - God's gift of salvation His workmanship walk in His works.
III. GOD GIVES US ACCESS TO HIMSELF - 2:11-18.
A. God's Forgiveness Brings Us Near To Him (Reconciles)!
1. Men often say: "I can forgive...but things will never be the same! Don't expect me to forget." (God does not keep us at arm's length, deny us peace & assurance of forgiveness!)
2. 2:11-13 - He is approachable, even to those "far off."
3. 2:14-15 - He gives us peace through Christ (with fellow-sinners).
4. 2:16 - One body (church) - Reconciled to God through the cross.
B. The Group Of People Who Have Reconciliation Is The Church - 2:16, 20- 22; 1:22-23.
1. Accessibility, habitation of God, body of Christ.
2. Let us forgive as God has forgiven us! - Matt. 18:32-33
IV. GOD HAS TOLD US WHAT HE WANTS US TO KNOW & DO - 3:2-5,
A. God Has Revealed His Will - 3:2-5.
1. He has not kept us guessing or left us at the mercy of dreamers who exploit the gullible!
2. 3:2-5 - Once it was a mystery--Now all can know by reading....
B. The Church Must Proclaim That Same Truth Today - 3:9-11.
1. Through the church God's wisdom is to be made known.
2. 1 Ths. 1:8; 2 Tim. 4:2 - Sound forth truth as it was revealed.
3. Gal. 1:8-9 - Do not change it to please modern man!
V. GOD IS A GOD OF UNITY AND PEACE - 4:3-6.
A. All Are To Endeavor To Keep Unity & Peace - 1 Cor. 1:10; 14:33. Christians are united......
1. 4:2-3 - Through common attitudes of heart.
2. 4:4-6 - Through a common platform of doctrine (teaching).
-If God spoke different things to different people, then he is a God of confusion & a respecter of persons!
VI. GOD HAS PROVIDED FOR (AND EXPECTS) PURITY & STABILITY IN DOCTRINE
& PERSONAL LIFE - 4:11-5:6.
A. Christ's Gifts Equip Us To Serve & Mature - 4:11-16.
-4:11, 13, 14 - The inspired word key to our service, maturity & stability! - cf. Col. 2:6-7
B. Corrupt Personal Lives Must Cease - 4:17-5:6.
1. 4:17-24 - Put away old man....put on the new man.
2. 4:25-5:2 - Practical results (honest, pure speech, kind, forgiving). 5:3-6 - Let no man deceive you!
3. Stable doctrine & stable lives are inseparable - Either w/o the other is inadequate.......and improbable!
VII. GOD DOES NOT LEAVE US ALONE (unaided) TO FIGHT OUR BATTLES -
A. God Knows The Nature Of Our Battles - 6:12 (Heb. 2:18).
B. God Has Equipped Us To Win - 6:10-11, 14-18 (2 Cor. 10:3-5).
1. "The strength of His might" is the armor of truth, righteousness, preparation of the gospel, faith, salvation, the word of God, prayer, watchfulness, perseverance & supplication.
2. 1 Tim. 6:12 - The battle can be won - God assures us! (Rom. 8:31, 37)
The one true God is powerful: to bless, to save, to reconcile, to make known His will, to unite, to stabilize & purify, to give victory of Satan. - Eph. 3:20-21