BEHOLD THE GOODNESS OF GOD
1. Rom. 11:22 - Behold: to see with the mind's eye, signifies a clear and purely mental perception. ["to see, to perceive with the eyes, to perceive by any of the senses notice, discern, discover to turn the eyes, the mind, the attention to anything, to pay attention, observe, to see about something, to ascertain what must be done about it, to inspect, examine, to look at, behold" (Thayer, 173).
2. Goodness: "moral goodness, integrity" (Thayer); graciousness.
3. We shall seek to develop a clear mental perception of the goodness of God that we may "continue in His goodness" (11:22).
I. THAT WHICH COMES FROM GOD TO MAN IS GOOD, BECAUSE GOD IS GOOD - Psa. 25:8; 33:4-5; Jas. 1:17.
A. God's Goodness is Seen in the World & its Provisions (Which Give & Sustain Life) - Gen. 1:31; Gen. 9:21-22; Psa. 145:15-16; Acts 14:17; 17:25.
1. Matt. 5:45 - Evidence of our dependence upon Him & His love for us!
2. Eccl. 2:24 - The satisfaction & rewards of hard work come from His hand.
3. We must trust in Him!
B. God's Word of Truth is Good - Psa. 119:68, 39.
1. His commandments - Rom. 7:12 (cf. Deut. 4:8; Neh. 9:13).
2. Gospel of Christ ("good" news) - Lk. 4:18-19.
3. We need to taste the "good word of God" - Heb. 6:5.
C. God is Good in Mercy & Forgiveness of our Sins - Psa. 86:5.
1. Psa. 25:6-7 - It is God's goodness (not man's) which prompts mercy & forgiveness (not man's!). Rom. 5:8
2. Psa. 109:21 - God forgives "for His name's sake."
3. Why would anyone spurn such goodness?!
D. God's Goodness gives Refuge & Blessings to People of Faith - Nah. 1:7 (2 Tim. 2:19).
1. Eph. 1:3 - Every spiritual blessing in Christ.
2. 2 Ths. 2:16-17 - God gives us "everlasting consolation and good hope by grace."
II. WHAT GOD'S GOODNESS MUST CAUSE US TO DO.
A. Repent of our Sins - Rom. 2:1-4.
1. Godly sorrow produces changed hearts & lives - 2 Cor. 7:9-11.
2. We will perish unless we repent! - Lk. 13:3
B. Continue to be Faithful to God - Rom. 11:22.
1. Psa. 34:8 - The one who trusts in Him is blessed.
2. Rom. 12:1-2, 11 - Whole-being, fervent service of the Lord.
C. Praise & Thank God for His Goodness - Psa. 106:1; 107:1; 145:7; Jer. 33:11.
1. This is why worship must have top priority in our lives!
2. Heb. 10:24-25 - Easy when we remember God's goodness!
D. Tell Others of God's Goodness - Isa. 63:7.
1. Rom. 10:14-15 - God is merciful to all who call upon Him (Psa. 86:5 - part of His goodness) - But men must know of their sin & His goodness in order to believe & be saved!
2. Jas. 4:17 - Do not sin by failing to tell others of God's goodness!
1. Rom. 11:22: Behold the goodness of God! His goodness is seen everywhere! "The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord," Psa. 33:5.
2. Shall we ungratefully consume His goodness, or thankfully acknowledge it & live for Him (and in His eternal blessings)?