Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Romans 3:21-26
The Relation of Grace to Sin, Truth & Forgiveness
1. Grace is a used & often abused Bible word (1 Pet. 5:12).
2. Grace: Undeserved favor, kindness (“that which affords joy, pleasure, delight”).
a. Revealed by the gospel of Christ; word of God (Acts 20:24, 32).
b. Teaches us how to live (Titus 2:11-12).
c. Saved by it (Eph. 2:5, 8).
d. Stand in grace (Rom. 5:2).
e. Can fall from grace (Gal. 5:4).
f. Can be received in vain (2 Cor. 6:1; 1 Cor. 15:10).
g. Grace is conditional – Eph. 2:8; cf. Psa. 84:11.
3. Relevance: Error is defended & sinners are comforted by false views of grace: Faith only; grace only; impossibility of apostasy, mdr…
I. RELATION OF GRACE & SIN (it overcomes sin) – Rom. 5:20-21; 3:20-26.
A. Grace Accomplishes What Law Cannot – Acts 15:11 (13:38-39).
1. Law cannot save – it condemns men as sinners – Gal. 3:10 (Rom. 3:20; 4:15).
2. Justification by faith (not by law) is due to God’s grace – Rom. 3:21-24; Gal. 3:11-14.
B. God’s Grace is Superior to Man’s Sin: Rom. 5:20-21.
1. 5:20 – Law exposed man’s sin & God’s wrath against it (3:19-20; 4:15) – but – Grace is greater than sin.
2. 5:21 – Sin’s domain is death – but – grace’s domain is righteousness unto eternal life through Jesus Christ!
C. Gospel of Grace Teaches Us to Give Up Sin as Our Way of Life – 6:2.
-(“Shall we continue to sin that grace may abound?”) – Rom. 6:1, 15.
1. Deny sin…live soberly, righteously & godly – Tit. 2:11-12.
2. Sin no longer to have dominion over Christian – Rom. 6:14:
a. No longer live in it – 6:2.
b. No longer slaves to it – 6:6-7.
c. Dead to sin – 6:11.
d. Sin does not reign (rule) in body…do not obey its lusts – 6:12.
e. Do not yield your body to unrighteousness – 6:13.
3. Willful sin insults the Spirit of grace – Heb. 10:26, 29.
II. RELATION OF GRACE & TRUTH (they are companions).
A. Jesus is the Fullness of Grace & Truth – Jno. 1:14, 16-17.
1. Cannot be saved by grace & reject Christ’s truth – Acts 20:24.
2. Cannot stand in truth with false concepts of grace.
B. Standing in Grace Means Walking in Truth – Rom. 5:2; Gal. 1:6-7.
1. Gal. 5:4 – Fall from grace when we live in error.
2. Gal. 5:5-7 – Our hope is by faith…working thru love…obeying!
3. 1 Jno. 1:5-7 – Practice truth…walk in light…cleansing from sin.
III. RELATION OF GRACE & FORGIVENESS.
A. Receiving Grace is Conditional –Tit. 2:11-12; 3:4-7; Gal. 5:5-7.
B. Grace Does not Save Christians in Spite of Their Sin – Rom. 6:16, 23.
-(This is “once saved, always saved” thinking, 6:1, 15).
C. Grace Does Not Provide Automatic Forgiveness of Sin (“continual cleansing” – even as we sin).
1. Christians continue to be cleansed when they continue to walk in the light – 1 Jno. 1:9. (We have to walk in the light to receive c.c.)
2. Classic argument:
a. Man sees a woman, lusts after her & is hit by car: Will God forgive him although he didn’t have chance to repent?
b. cf. Man on his way to be baptized, killed in accident: Will God save him although he didn’t have a chance to be baptized?
1) Hypothetical is constructed with a bias (how do you know he lusted?)! Do you have the confidence to go stand in the street, lust after a woman, and let a car run you over?
2) Motive is to justify clear error without repenting of it!
3) Christian who is walking in the light avoids lust.
4) God will judge righteously – that we are certain.
* 3. If standing in grace means automatic forgiveness (“continual cleansing”) for Christians, then…
a. How can Christians ever sin? 1 Jno. 1:8
b. Why are Christians told to do anything when they sin? 1 Jno. 1:9; Acts 8:22 (confess sin, repent & pray)
c. Why is fellowship with God conditional? 1 Jno. 1:7
d. How is it possible for Christians to fall from grace? Gal. 5:4
e. How is it possible for Christian to “fall short” of grace of God? Heb. 12:15
f. Why deny worldly lusts? Tit. 2:11-12
g. Why obey God? Jno. 14:15
h. Why are Christians urged to continue in the grace of God? Acts 13:43
1. Things grace does not do:
a. Save from unrepented sin – Acts 17:30
b. Make sin righteous – Rom. 6:1-2 (Jude 4)
c. Minimize or overwhelm truth – Jno. 1:17 (Acts 20:32)
d. Make doctrine secondary – Gal. 1:6-10
e. Eliminate the necessity of obedience – Matt. 7:21-23; Lk. 17:10
2. Grace saves us & teaches us to live under rule of truth & righteousness, not sin – Eph. 2:8-9; Gal. 5:6-7. Obey Jesus now & always (Jas. 4:6-10).