Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 53:1-3
A Man Acquainted with Grief
1. Who among us has not experienced sorrow, pain and grief? (a loss, ill treatment, etc.)
2. Isa 53:3: Centuries before He lived, Christ’s knowledge of grief was foretold by the prophet. Grief: “lit., with sickness” (Pulpit Comm.); both of mind and body.
3. Amazing that, although put to grief, Jesus “went about doing good”, Acts 10:38
4. Christians must endure tribulations to enter kingdom, Acts 14:22 (do good, 2 Ths 3:13).
5. Knowing Christ’s experience with grief helps us endure and overcome 1 Pet 2:21; Heb 4:14-16. Jesus was acquainted with grief:
I. DUE TO THE HARDSHIPS OF DAILY LIFE, Matt 8:18-20.
A. He Lived A Poor And Grueling Life.
1. Itinerate, traveling and subsisting on the mercy and generosity of others, Lk 8:1-3. For Jesus, godliness was not a way of gain, but of sacrifice.
a. Sacrifice must characterize us, Matt 8:19-20.
b. Gratitude for our advantages, Eph 5:20.
c. Understanding and wise use, Eccl 7:14.
II. DUE TO HIS FAMILY, Jno 7:4-5.
A. His Brothers Rejected Him while He was Alive.
1. They were skeptical, not supportive, cf. Mk 3:21.
2. Hurts when family doesn’t support you in the truth.
a. May be rejected by family, Matt 10:36-39.
b. May be mistreated by your family, Eph 5:22, 25, 28.
c. Be supportive of your family by obeying the truth.
III. DUE TO HIS FRIENDS.
A. His Closest Companions Caused Him Grief:
1. Judas, Jno 13:18, 21, 27 (Psa 55:12-14).
2. Peter, Jno 13:36-38 (Lk 22:60-61).
3. All disciples, Jno 16:32 (Matt 26:56).
a. Must strengthen faith so we do not forsake Jesus, Matt 10:22.
b. Be a friend who stands by others, Prov 17:17; 18:24 (Eccl 4:9-12).
c. Friends may forsake, but God never will, Jno 16:32.
5. Make friends of God’s children; they give you joy, not grief.
IV. DUE TO DOING GOOD, Jno 5:15-16.
A. Rather than Acknowledged and Praised, He was Persecuted.
1. Harassed, tracked, lied about and plotted against (Lk 11:53-54).
2. These things can tempt us to stop doing what is good.
a. Mistreatment will come when you do what is right, 2 Tim 3:12.
b. You are blessed when mistreated for right., Matt 5:10-11.
c. Rejoice and do not stop, Matt 5:12.
V. DUE TO ENDURING TEMPTATIONS, Heb 2:18.
A. We don’t Think of Jesus’ Temptations as a Source of Grief, but they were, cf. Heb 4:15; Lk 22:28.
a. Accept His help to endure when tempted (Heb 2:18)
b. Boldly come to Him for mercy and grace (Heb 4:16).
VI. IN HIS DEATH, Isa 53:3-6, 10.
A. He Endured a Cruel Death for Us, Matt 27:27-31; Jno 19:30.
1. Bore our grief and sorrows; not properly regarded, Isa 53:4.
2. His death is our healing, Isa 53:5-6.
3. God delighted in the achievement of the Savior’s grief (sacrifice for sin), Isa 53:10-11.
a. Must be saved by his death, Rom 6:3.
b. Must die to sin, Rom 6:2, 4.
c. Must die to self and live by faith, Gal 2:20.
5. These require sacrifice, pain and grief -- Obtain reward. Jesus (Isa 53:12); Us (eternal life, Rom 6:23).
1. Do not despair when you are put to grief by others for doing will of God, 1 Pet 4:12-13.
2. Look to Jesus and He will sustain you, Heb 12:2.