Power Point Show MP3 Audio
Scripture Reading: Matthew 14:22-33
Faith in the Storm
1. Without faith we cannot please God, Heb. 11:6.
2. Bible teaches us our faith must be obedient to be complete, Lk. 6:46; Jas. 2:17-24.
3. We need complete (mature) faith to face daily trials, struggles and doubts; to resist temptation and turn these obstacles into great opportunities to trust the Lord and let Him work His will through us, Phil. 2:12-13.
4. cf. When Jesus (and Peter) walked in water, Matt. 14:22-33.
I. LIKE THE APOSTLES, AT TIMES WE WILL FIND OURSELVES "IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEA" Matt. 14:24-27 (3-4 miles out, Jno. 6:19).
A. The Storms of Life Come to Us All, 14:24.
1. Jesus sent the apostles on this night journey, Matt. 14:22.
a. The Lord "sends us" on a variety of tasks in life, and with them come particular challenges to our faith: Marriage, parenthood, employment, teach the gospel, live a moral life, etc.
b. We cannot expect a problem-free life.
c. But, we can expect the Lord to always be with us, 2 Tim. 4:16-18 (Heb. 13:5-6).
2. God sees and knows and cares, Mk. 6:48; Psa. 11:4; 18:1-3.
3. God calms life's storms, Matt. 14:32 (Jno. 6:21); 8:23-27.
B. The Unknown can Frighten Us, Matt. 14:25-26.
1. Satan tries to use fear to distract/discourage/dishearten us, Rom. 8:35-37.
2. Because we are God's children we can put away fear, Rom. 8:14-15; 2 Tim. 1:7; 1 Jno. 4:17-19.
3. Jesus continues to assure us with solid hope, Jno. 14:1-4.
C. The Calming Assurance of the Master Gives Us Courage, 14:27; Mk. 6:49-50. ("be of good cheer" -- take courage)
1. Do not fear tomorrow, Matt. 6:33-34 (Jas. 4:15).
2. Do not fear sin, Rom. 6:17-18; 1 Jno. 2:1.
3. Do not fear death, Heb. 2:14-15.
4. Do not fear man, Heb. 13:6.
II. FAITH WITHOUT FEAR, Matt. 14:28-33.
-Our faith can embolden us to do amazing things, Matt. 14:29; Heb. 11:7, 23-27, 28-29, 30ff.
A. Desire and Trust the Commands of Christ, Matt. 14:28-29. Psa. 19:10; 119:9-10, 172
1. Peter actually walked on water when he trusted and obeyed Jesus!
2. We are not commanded to walk on water, but we are commanded to do things that defy human reason/logic:
a. Baptized in water to be saved, Mk. 16:16.
b. Give of our means each Lord's day, 1 Cor. 16:2.
c. Not love the world and its "things", 1 Jno. 2:15-17.
d. Be holy in an unholy land, 1 Pet. 1:15-16.
e. Be faithful even to the point of death, Rev. 2:10.
B. Faith to Keep our Eyes on Jesus, Matt. 14:30.
1. Means we have to endure through the storm, Heb. 12:1-2.
2. Keep living by faith, 2 Cor. 5:7-11.
C. Doubt will Sink Us! Matt. 14:30-31
1. The enduring trust that God's way works, even when everything around screams out "no"!
2. Jesus is always ready to reach out and keep us from sinking! -His mercy, grace, power, constancy..., cf. Isa. 59:1-2
3. We must continue to "sow to the Spirit", Gal. 6:7-10.
D. Our Faith is in Jesus as the Son of God, Matt. 14:32-33.
1. He walked on water and saves the sinking; He stopped the storm (and landed the boat immediately and safely at its destination, Jno. 6:21).
2. They worshiped Him as the Son of God, 14:33.
1. There is no storm in life that the Lord will not come to you with His mercy to save you and protect you, cf. Psa. 22:1-5, 19-21.
2. Keep faith; After the storm is an eternal calm.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: November 13, 2014