THE GOSPEL INVITATION
1. There was a time when you did not hear a gospel sermon without it being punctuated by a gospel invitation.
2. Now, some brethren tell us such a "gospel invitation" is only "church of Christ tradition" and have stopped offering them.
3. That Jesus & His apostles invited obedience to the gospel is unquestionable - Matt. 11:28; Acts 2:40.
4. Rev. 22:12-17 - The Lord offers the gospel invitation to all.
I. THE GOSPEL INVITATION REFLECTS AN UNDERSTANDING OF CHRIST'S RETURN
- Rev. 22:12.
A. Jesus Will Return - Acts 1:9-11; 2 Ths. 1:9-10.
-22:12 - Quickly - "Without delay" - Assured.
B. Jesus Will Return To Judge All Men - 22:12.
1. Every one according to his works - 2 Cor. 5:10.
2. Impartially - Rom. 2:6-11.
--In view of future judgment, we must offer & respond to the gospel invitation!
II. THE GOSPEL INVITATION IS BASED ON JESUS & WHO HE IS -
Rev. 22:13, 16.
A. Jesus Is Eternal God - 22:13.
1. Alpha & Omega - Rev. 1:8 (the Almighty). 1:11 (first in rank, protos & last, the only one).
2. The Beginning & End - (arche - cause, chief cause, origin of all things) Creator & Consummator of all things - Jno. 1:1-3; Col. 1:16-18.
B. Messiah (Savior) - 22:16.
1. Root & offspring of Jesse - Isa. 11:1-2 (Rom. 1:3).
2. The bright & morning star - Lk. 1:76-79. He is the Way (Jno. 14:6).
--In view of who Jesus is, we must offer & respond to the gospel invitation!
III. THE GOSPEL INVITATION EXHORTS MAN TO OBEY TO BE SAVED -
A. Those Who Obey Are Blessed!
1. Obedient have a right to the tree of life - 22:1-5; cf. Rev. 2:7, 5.
2. Obedient are cleansed of sin & enter the eternal city - 22:14-15; 21:2, 26-27.
3. Obedience to the gospel is necessary to be eternally saved! - Matt. 7:21; Heb. 5:9; 1 Pet. 4:17-18.
--In view of the blessings of obedience, we must offer & respond to the gospel invitation!
IV. THE GOSPEL INVITATION WARNS SINNERS OF THEIR ETERNAL DOOM -
A. A Day Of Wrath & Righteous Judgment - Rom. 2:2-5.
B. Eternal Punishment - 2 Ths. 1:8-9.
--In view of sin's eternal punishment, we must offer & respond to the gospel invitation!
V. THE GOSPEL INVITATION MUST ALWAYS BE OFFERED BECAUSE SALVATION IS
ALWAYS AVAILABLE - Rev. 22:17.
A. God & His Saints Appeal To Sinners To "Come" - Col. 1:28.
B. All Who Thirst For Salvation Will Come & Be Saved - cf. Jno. 7:37; cf. Rom. 10:13, 16-17.
--In view of constant availability of salvation, we must offer & respond to the gospel invitation!
1. 2 Cor. 5:20 - Along with the apostles we invite & implore you: Be reconciled to God!
2. We must always offer the Lord's invitation whenever we teach the gospel!
3. Hear & obey the gospel invitation now!