[Part 17](Scripture: Acts 1:9-11) JESUS OF NAZARETH: HIS ASCENSION Intro. 1. We have recorded for us the greatest story ever told - the life of Jesus.
2. We have seen this story unfold from OT predictions thru Jesus early years to His years of ministry, His sufferings, death & resurrection.
3. Acts 1:9-11 - The ascension of Jesus into heaven should not be overlooked as a vital part of God's plan for our redemption.
4. In triumph & glory, He miraculously ascended into heaven to take His rightful place as exalted Prophet, Priest & King.
I. THE ASCENSION ITSELF - Acts 1:9-11.
1. At the Mt. of Olives - Acts 1:12. (Place of rest where He & apostles went; Gethsemane located there.)
2. While He blessed them - Lk. 24:51.
a. Blessed (Eulogeo) - "lit., to speak well of....to consecrate a thing with solemn prayers, to ask God's blessing on a thing" (Vine, I:132)
b. He was speaking words of comfort, strength & encouragement to them (cf. Acts 1:6-8).
3. In bodily form - Acts 1:9.
a. His body (which was lit. resurrected is taken up, Lk. 24:39-43).
b. Miraculous occurrence!
-Denial of ascension causes serious consequences!
II. ASCENSION OF JESUS WAS NECESSARY/IMPORTANT AS:
A. A Proof Of His Messiahship - Jno. 6:62.
1. cf. v. 33, 35, 38, 60 - Bread of life from heaven - Hard to accept.
a. v. 62 - His ascension would also offend them.
b. Acts 7:55-58 - Were enraged - Rejected the evidence.
2. Lk. 24:52-53 - His ascension gave disciples assurance & peace.
B. His Ascension Enabled The Sending Of The Holy Spirit - Jno. 16:5-7.
1. v. 7 - Advantageous & profitable - Promise of H.S. could be fulfilled.
2. 16:13 - God's final revelation made available with His ascension!
3. Acts 2:33 - Fulfillment of Jno. 16:7!
4. Eph. 4:8-11- W/o ascension, the things (gifts) needed to give final revelation & maturity (v. 12-13) would not have been provided.
C. It Was Necessary In Order For Jesus To Be King Over His Kingdom - Mk. 16:19.
1. "Right hand of God" - Position of favor, trust & power - Acts 2:33.
2. Dan. 7:13-14 - Daniels vision prophesied this event.
3. In this place of exaltation:
a. He received His rule - Eph. 1:20-23 - All authority - King now!
b. Fulfilled prophecy - Acts 2:34-36 (Psa. 110:1).
4. Submit to His authority!
D. It Was Necessary In Order For Him To Serve As High Priest Over The House Of God - Heb. 4:14.
1. Offer Himself as sacrifice for sins - Heb. 9:24, 11-12.
2. At God's right hand, He intercedes (pleads our cause) for us - Heb. 9:24; 7:25.
3. He offers continual help to overcome sin - Heb. 4:16.
E. His Ascension Enabled Him To Prepare A Place For His Disciples - Jno. 14:1-3.
1. Preparations: Receive His rule; Send H.S. w/all truth; Serve as High Priest by offering Himself; intercessory work.
2. W/o ascension, heavenly dwelling-place would not be available!
F. His Ascension Strengthens The Christian's Hope - Acts 1:10-11.
1. Jno. 14:3 - Promised it - Angels confirmed it.
2. Jno. 17:24 - Jesus prayed that we might be w/Him & behold His glory.
3. 1 Ths. 4:13, 16-17 - The Christian's hope!Conclusion
1. 1 Tim. 3:16 - Received up into glory! Must revere His honored position!
2. His ascension persuades us to appreciate our salvation, for without it:
a. Wouldnt have all truth to guide us.
b. Couldnt be in His kingdom (no king).
c. Wouldnt have a High Priest interceding for us.
d. No place prepared for us.
e. No hope of seeing His glory & being in Gods presence eternally.
3. He has done so much for us: What will we do for Him?!