JESUS DID IT FIRST!
1. We admire explorers & trailblazers (Columbus, Lewis & Clark, Fremont, etc.).
2. No spiritual principle which God enjoins upon us which Jesus did not do first!
3. We must follow in His steps - Matt. 9:9; 16:24; Jno. 12:26; 1 Pet. 2:21; 1 Jno. 2:5b-6.
I. OBEDIENCE - Jno. 15:10; 6:38; 8:29, 55; 14:31.
A. He Yielded To Authority - Jno. 14:28; 12:49.
1. We must, too - Col. 3:17.
2. Importance of authority being properly established & applied - Matt. 21:25. (Today: Preach Jesus, not auth. & patterns)
B. He Served The Will Of God - Heb. 10:7-9; Jno. 4:34.
-We must serve His will! - Heb. 5:8-9
II. SACRIFICE - Jno. 10:17-18; Matt. 20:28.
A. The Value Of The Kingdom - Matt. 13:44-45.
B. Self-Denial - Matt. 16:24; Tit. 2:11-12.
C. Carrying Our Cross - Matt. 16:24 (Hardship attached to following Christ).
III. LOVE - Jno. 13:34-35 (2 Cor. 5:14); 1 Jno. 4:7-12; 19-21.
A. It Shows That We Belong To Him - 13:34-35. (Jno. 14:15)
1. 4:7-12 - Begotten of (v. 7) / Know God (v. 8) / God abides in us (v. 12, 16--fellowship) / His love perfected in us (v. 12).
2. 4:19-21 - Compels our love / Commandment.
B. Loving Others Is A Deliberate Choice - 1 Jno. 4:21.
1. Because it is commanded, it is a choice, a deliberate action toward another.
2. By ingraining our choice, it becomes a part of us! (Practice, 1 Jno. 3:18).
3. Must love:
a. Brethren - (1 Jno. 4:21; Jno. 13:34).
b. Family - (Eph. 5:25; Tit. 2:4).
c. Neighbors (Matt. 22:39).
d. Enemies (Lk. 6:27).
IV. FORGIVE - Lk. 23:34; Col. 3:12-13.
A. Immediately & Totally-1 Jno. 1:9; 2 Cor. 2:5-10
B. Always - Lk. 17:1-4.
C. From The Heart - Matt. 18:32-35 (mercy, etc.)
V. RESIST TEMPTATION - Heb. 4:15; Lk. 4:13.
A. Temptation Will Always Be With Us - 1 Pet. 5:8. It is a lifelong
1. No isolation will isolate us from it.
2. If you: Have a mind - Will be tempted through it; Have a body - Tempted through it; Social nature - Avenue of temptation; Sexual being - You'll have sexual temptations; Ad infinitum!
B. Yield Not To Temptation - Jas. 4:7
1. "For yielding is sin." - Jas. 1:14-15.
2. Quote from Petersen on resisting (see below).
C. Put Your Faith In The Faithfulness Of God -1 Cor. 10:13.
1. Look for God rather than the devil in your life!
2. Hold up against it - Escape & Endure!
1. Jesus calls us to follow His examples - To do as He has done - cf. Jno. 13:12-17.
2. Blessed if we do as He has done!
"You can't stop temptations from coming, but you can decide what
youre going to do with each one.
"You can't stop the birds from flying in the sky, but you can stop them from nesting in your hair.
"You can't stop the devil from singing his bewitching songs in your ear, but you don't have to join him and sing a duet.
"You can't stop the devil from displaying his wares in the shop window and urging you to buy, but you don't have to make a purchase.
"You can't stop the devil from dropping his brats on your doorstep and knocking incessantly on your door. But you don't have to open the door, take them in, warm them, clothe them, and feed them."
-(THE MYTH OF THE GREENER GRASS, J. Allan Petersen, page 77)