Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 42:5-9
Knowing God from Ephesians (I)
1. Rom 1:18-23: God has shown His power and Godhood so that mankind “may know Him” (19-20). Foolish and sinful to ignore Him and reject Him.
2. He is the living God who deserves and demands our allegiance (on His terms), Acts 14:15; 17:23-29.
3. Christians, of all people, are to know the “one God” 1 Cor 8:3-6; Eph 4:6; 2 Ths 1:8.
4. The profile of God in the book of Ephesians.
I. GOD PROVIDES US WITH ALL SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS IN CHRIST, Eph 1:3-11.
A. God is “Blessed”, 1:3.
1. eulogetos (adj); akin to eulogeo (v): “Blessed, praised”, adored, thanked. Used only of God in NT, Lk 1:68 (Rom 9:5).
2. So, to celebrate with praises (eulogeo: lit, “to speak well of”).
B. He has Blessed us with Every Spiritual Blessing in Christ (1:3).
1. The Blessed One has invoked blessings upon us in Christ! He has caused us to prosper and made us happy and joyful.
2. Every spiritual blessing…
a. Chosen to be blameless before Him in love, 1:4.
b. Sons of God, 1:5. Children of God (Jno 1:12)
c. Grace freely given, 1:6.
d. Redemption through His blood, 1:7.
e. Riches of His grace in all wisdom and prudence, 1:7-8.
f. Knowledge of His will, 1:9.
g. Sum up all things in Christ acc. to His purpose, 1:9-10.
h. Obtained an inheritance, 1:11 (1 Pet. 1:4).
C. All Spiritual Blessings are “in Christ”, 1:3; Gal 3:26-28; Matt 28:19.
II. GOD IS A GOD OF MERCY, Eph 2:1-10.
(Compassion; Kindness or good will towards the miserable and the afflicted, joined with a desire to help them) Micah 7:18-20
A. The Bankrupt Life of the Lost, 2:1-3. Dead through trespasses and sins, course of the world, disobedient, lived in lusts of flesh, children of wrath.
B. God had Other Plans for Us, 2:4-10.
1. Rich in mercy and love, 2:4; Rom 5:8 (Jno 3:16).
2. Made us alive...raised up to spiritual heights, 2:5-6.
3. Effect: He shows His grace toward us, 2:7; 1 Pet 2:9.
4. God’s gift of salvation: Through faith; His workmanship to walk in His works, 2:8-10 (Phil 2:12-13).
III. GOD IS ACCESSIBLE, Eph 2:11-18.
A. By the Blood of Christ, 2:11-13.
1. Even those who are “far off” can approach God because of Christ.
2. Peace (with God and fellow-sinners), 2:14-15.
3. Reconciled to God through the cross in “one body” (the church), 2:16.
4. Gospel of peace preached to all sinners, 2:17.
B. The Completeness of God’s Forgiveness brings Us Near to Him. (Reconciles)
1. People say: “I will forgive, but things will never be the same! Don’t expect me to forget.”
2. God does not keep us at arm’s length, denying us the peace and assurance of total forgiveness!
C. Those who are Reconciled to God Compose the Church, 2:16, 19-22; 1:22-23.
1. Accessibility as the dwelling place of God (body of Christ), 2:22.
2. Let us forgive as God has forgiven us, Matt 18:32-33.
1. God has made Himself known to us His by revealing His great willingness to save us and bless us in His Son, Jesus Christ.
2. He is the Blessed God and “Father of mercies and God of all comfort” (2 Cor 1:3).
Go to Part 2