(Being Led By The Holy Spirit)
1. Two possibilities exist on how the Holy Spirit works in the Christian's life:
a. The direct operation of the Holy Spirit upon men's lives.
1) The Holy Spirit operated directly upon men to reveal all truth (Matt. 10:19-20; Jno. 16:13; Eph.3:3-5), to inspire the teaching of that revealed truth (1 Cor. 2:13), and to confirm the divine origin of that revealed word by empowering men to work miracles (1 Cor. 2:4-5; Heb. 2:3-4).
2) Nowhere does the New Testament teach that the Holy Spirit works directly upon the Christian to empower him to obey the truth which has been revealed!
b. The indirect operation of the Holy Spirit upon men's lives.
1) The work which the Spirit does on our behalf is said to be accomplished through the word of truth which He revealed.
2) That work can either be accepted or rejected, based upon one's obedience to the word of God (the Spirit does not force His desires upon men!).
3) The work which the Holy Spirit accomplishes through the word He has revealed, inspired and confirmed includes:
a) Convicting sinners - John 16:8 (Of sin, Rom. 3:23; of righteousness, Rom. 1:16-17; of judgment, 2 Ths. 1:8-9).
b) New birth - John 3:5 (cf. 1 Pet. 1:22-23).
c) Sanctification - 1 Peter 1:2 (Jno. 17:17).
d) Saves - Titus 3:5 (Jas. 1:21; Rom. 1:16).
e) Cleanses - 1 Corinthians 6:11 (Eph. 5:25-26).
f) Leads - Romans 8:14 (2 Jno. 9, 2).
g) Strengthens - Ephesians 3:16 (Acts 20:32).
h) Gives understanding - Ephesians 3:16-19 (strengthened to understand God's ways, Eph. 3:3-5).
i) Bears witness that we are the sons of God - Romans 8:16 (1 Jno. 2:3-6).
2. Every action of the Holy Spirit in human conviction, conversion and consecration of life is carried out by the revealed word of God (Eph. 6:17 - The "sword of the Spirit").
Questions 1. What work did the Holy Spirit directly perform for our benefit?
2. Is the Holy Spirit the word of God? What is His relationship to the word of God?
3. What are some ways people believe the Holy Spirit leads them today?
4. How do we receive the benefits of being led by the Spirit?