Topical Sermons Power Point Show
(Arranged from material provided by Kevin Kay.)
Scripture Reading: Luke 13:22-30
"If I Accept What You Teach, I Condemn My Loved One!"
1. Some resist the gospel because their loved one died outside of Christ: “I'll be sending my loved one to hell if I believe what you teach!”
2. How do we Scripturally answer this emotional argument (that blinds lost souls to the truth of the gospel) so that they will be saved?
I. EMPHASIZE THE ABIDING TRUTH OF GOD’S WORD.
A. The Bible Really is God’s Word – 2 Tim. 3:16-17.
1. It is the pattern we must hold fast & continue in – 2 Tim. 1:13; 3:14.
2. We must be “people of the book” – Isa. 8:20.
B. We Must Accept Whatever God Teaches – 1 Ths. 2:13.
1. Not the wisdom, emotions & will of men – 1 Cor. 2:1-5.
2. Must also accept the consequences of what God teaches (cf. Rom. 3:4; 5:12).
C. Whatever the Bible Teaches on Any Subject, It Taught the Same Thing 2,000 Years Ago.
1. Long before any of us was born, including our loved ones, the word of God was established & then revealed – Psa. 119:89.
2. Whatever the NT teaches it will continue to teach whether our loved one believes & obeys it or not. – cf. Lk. 16:27-30
II. THE BIBLE TEACHES THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WILL BE LOST – Matt. 7:13-14; Lk. 13:23-24.
A. Not Because God Desires any to be Lost, but Because Most Sinners will not Do the Father’s Will – 1 Tim. 2:3-4; Matt. 7:21.
B. That Number Will Include Many Sincere People – Matt. 7:22-23; Lk. 13:22-30.
1. Will also include loved ones of Christians – cf. Matt. 10:34-36.
2. Paul mourned the lost condition of his countrymen – Rom. 9:1-3; 10:1-2.
3. We must love Christ & His truth more than anyone else; including our dead loved ones – Matt. 10:37.
III. THE ETERNAL DESTINY OF THE DEAD IS SEALED AT DEATH – Heb. 9:27.
A. Nobody on Earth Can Change Where One Goes at Death – Lk. 16:22-26 (great gulf fixed – no passing across).
-Nothing anyone says or does will have any effect on dead loved ones.
B. We Will All Stand in Judgment for Our Own Lives – 2 Cor. 5:10.
1. Will not be judged by what others say & do; our own lives.
2. Nothing anyone says or does on earth will affect the judgment of our dead loved ones.
C. Final Judgment is in the Hands of God.
1. God will judge the world by His Son Jesus – Jno. 5:26-29.
2. God will judge us by His word of truth – Rev. 20:12.
3. God will judge the world in righteousness – Acts 17:30-31.
a. He will not make any mistakes – Gen. 18:25; Rev. 16:7.
b. Those who should go to heaven will; those who should not go will not.
D. Jesus is the Judge (not me or you).
1. We teach His standard; but He will apply it in judgment.
2. “I cannot give anyone 100% assurance of their accountable loved one’s eternal state…that is not my prerogative” - 1 Cor. 4:3-5.
a. On Judgment Day the secrets of the heart will be judged – I don’t know them & neither do you! (Rom. 2:16)
b. Leave judgment to the Lord.
3. We cannot presume upon the mercy of God.
IV. YOUR LOVED ONE’S CONDITION AT DEATH DOES NOT CHANGE BIBLE TEACHING – Psa. 119:89.
A. The NT Plan of Salvation Has Not Changed – Mk. 16:15-16.
B. What the NT Teaches Has Not Changed on:
1. Morality (1 Cor. 6:9-10).
2. Obedience (Heb. 5:8-9; 2 Ths. 1:8-9).
3. Worship (Matt. 15:7-9).
4. Faithfulness (Col. 1:23; Heb. 10:38)
C. Bible Still Says We Will be Judged by Word of Christ – Jno. 12:48.
V. YOUR LOVED ONE WANTS YOU TO BE SAVED – Lk. 16:27-28.
A. You will be Saved Only By Hearing & Heeding the Word of God – Lk. 16:29-31.
1. How will your loved one’s failure to know or obey the gospel help you if you refuse to obey what you have learned?
2. “We are reminded of the son who took over his father’s store after the father died. Later, when told by authorities that he was not giving good measure for a yard of material, he was insulted. 'My father ran this store before me, and used this very measure,' he said; ‘Are you saying my father was dishonest?’ ‘No,’ the other man said; ‘I’m quite sure that your father thought this to be an accurate measure; but if you continue to use it after being shown its inaccuracy, then you are dishonest.’ So it is in religion if we do not change upon learning the truth.” (Bill Hall, “I Would Be Condemning My Parents,” The Westview Weekly, March 11, 1990, 10:8:3).
1. “If your loved one is saved, it will not be because you or anyone else might say or believe that he’s saved. If your loved one is lost, it will not be because you or anyone else might happen to say or believe that he’s saved. If your loved one is saved, he is saved regardless of anything that you or anyone else might believe or say or do. If your loved one is lost, he is lost regardless of anything that you or anyone else might believe or say or do.” (Kevin Kay)
2. Christ demands that we love Him more than anyone or anybody else – Matt. 10:37; Lk. 14:26.
3. The question is: Will you love Jesus? – Jno. 14:15