Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Matthew 6:19-21
Matthew 5:17-7:27: The Righteousness of the Kingdom (Part 2)
1. Review Part 1: Two problems with scribes & Pharisees (Matt.5:19-20):
a) Thought righteousness was achieved through keeping the Law of Moses (law keeping) (Gal. 3:10-12).
b) Hypocritical conduct from self-righteous hearts (Matt. 23:2, 23).
2. Our righteousness must exceed the scribes and Pharisees (Matt. 5:20).
3. Living by faith from a pure heart matters because of blessings, your influence and Godís glory.
I. RIGHTEOUSNESS OF THE KINGDOM REFLECTS TRUSTING FAITH AND PRODUCES FRUITFUL SERVICE, Matt. 6:19-34.
A. Faith that Trusts and Serves God (fully, completely), 6:19-32 (Rom. 1:17); Jas. 2:18.
1. Valuables, 6:19-21, 24; 1 Tim. 6:6-8.
2. Vision, 6:22-23; Col. 3:2.
3. Values, 6:25; Matt. 16:26 (1 Jno. 2:15-17).
a. We are assured by the sovereignty, love and fellowship of our heavenly Father, 6:26-30.
b. Do not worry (be not anxious, asv), 6:25, 27-28, 31, 34.
c. Little faith, 6:30.
4. Faith takes to heart the comfort of Christís promises, power, presence and love.
B. We must Faithfully and Fruitfully Serve God, 6:33-34.
1. Priority: Active in how we live toward material world, Heb. 13:5-6.
2. Godís purposes and pursuits become ours:
a. Kingdom of God, cf. Lk. 17:20-21 (1 Pet. 3:15).
b. His righteousness (Matt. 5:20; 6:24); see Lk. 1:6; Rom. 6:12-16.
3. Daily provisions and pursuit, 6:34, 11.
II. RIGHTEOUSNESS OF THE KINGDOM COMPELS US TO PROPERLY EVALUATE ALL THINGS, Matt. 7:1-20.
A. Judge Ourselves and how we Make Judgments, 7:1-6 (Jno. 7:24).
1. Do not be hypocritical, 7:1 (Matt. 15:1-3, 7; Rom. 2:1).
2. How we measure (judge) will be returned to us, 7:2 (Lk. 6:38).
3. With a view toward helping others, 7:3-5 (1 Cor. 5:3-5).
4. Correct assessment of holy things (truth, the church) keeps us from handing them over to defilement, 7:6 (Tit. 1:10-16).
B. Assesses Godís Ability to Bless Us, 7:7-11.
1. 7:7-8: A-S-K: Formula for success for the righteous; The righteous actively trust that God will bless you (faith).
a. Ask in faith, Jas. 1:5-8 (stable, faithful heart).
b. Not out of lust / worldliness, Jas. 4:1-4.
2. 7:9-11: Persevering prayer accompanied by active faith brings certain answer from God, 1 Pet. 3:8-12.
a. God will not deceive and disappoint His children.
b. He sends us good things, Jas. 1:17.
C. Assesses how we Treat Others, 7:12.
1. Out of gratitude for the Fatherís con≠tinuing gifts, 7:11 (Not as others do to you, Prov. 24:29).
2. Embodies the law and the prophets (5:17); cf. Matt. 22:37-40.
D. Assesses the Path of Life, 7:13-14 (Jno. 1:4-5; 14:6).
E. Assesses Teachers and their Teachings, 7:15-20 (1Jno.4:1; Gal.1:6-9)
III. RIGHTEOUSNESS OF THE KINGDOM HEARS AND OBEYS THE WORDS OF JESUS (as the will of the Father), Matt. 7:21-29.
A. Saying but not Doing (obeying) is Lawlessness (Sin), 7:21-23.
-Remember the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, 5:20 (23:3); ours must exceed theirs (excel beyond theirs).
B. The Wisdom of Obedient Faith, 7:24-27.
1. cf. Matt. 11:28: Coming to Jesus is hearing His words and doing them, Lk. 6:47.
2. Hearing the words of Christ and doing nothing is foolish, Lk. 6:49.
3. Submission to the authority of the King, 7:28-29 (Col. 3:17).
1. Unless our righteousness conforms to the word of Christ, we ďwill by no means enter the kingdom of heavenĒ (Matt. 5:20).
2. What describes your righteousness: Law-keeping (sinless perfection)? Hypocritical? Seeking the praise of men? The righteousness of faith in Christ (the righteousness of the kingdom)?
3. Be wise: Hear and obey the words of Christ (gospel of the kingdom) and be saved from sin and death.