Textual Studies Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 12:12-27
1. Two extreme attitudes in the church: “I can do everything” & “I can’t do anything.” Both attitudes are wrong: One is borne of pride & selfishness; the other of not knowing the value of every saint.
2. Seen posters in doctor’s office of human body (names, systems, etc.).
3. 1 Cor. 12:12-31 – Holy Spirit gives us a “poster” of the body of Christ (church), displaying its unity as individual parts join together to function harmoniously & effectively as a church of Christ.
I. WE ARE THE BODY OF CHRIST - 12:27.
A. The Church is One Body with Many Members – 12:12, 20, 27.
1. Baptized into one body – 12:13; cf. Acts 2:41, 47.
-We all share a common faith, conversion, fellowship & goal.
2. Body can grow & function effectively –Eph. 4:15-16; Col. 2:19.
B. The Body Illustrates Our Unity in Christ – 12:12 (Eph. 4:3-6), 25.
1. The local church is to be united – 1 Cor. 1:10, 13; 11:17-18.
2. The church is not to be a “battle zone”! (Jas. 4:1)
II. THE BODY (CHURCH): MANY MEMBERS.
A. God has Designed the Church (body) to Achieve His Purposes – 12:18 (28); Rom. 12:4-5. (Applied to miraculous gifts – 12:1-12)
1. Different gifts – Same Spirit – 12:4. (we all have been blessed)
2. Different ministries – Same Lord – 12:5. (we render diff. services)
3. Different activities (works) – Same God – 12:6. (thru diff. ways)
-Illus. with human body-
B. Each Member of the Body of Christ:
1. Is vital – 12:14-19. [You are valuable in the church! What you do is valuable to the church!]
a. Young person who sets a godly example (1 Tim. 4:12).
b. Elderly saint whose endurance inspires others.
c. The mother who teaches her children the ways of God.
d. The father who leads his house in righteousness.
e. The class teacher, preacher, song leader, prayer, etc.
2. Is needed – 12:20-22.
a. 12:21 - No one is to be a “church boss” – a dominating Diotrephes – 3 Jno. 9. (cf. intimidation, manipulation, etc.)
b. 12:22 – Weaker members are necessary, too. (Humility toward all is crucial for our success! – Rom. 12:3, 16; Phil. 2:3)
3. Is honorable – 12:23-24.
a. 12:23 – Opinionated “ranking” of importance among brethren is wrong!
b. 12:24 – Just as we adorn our body so that all parts are honorably presented (modest), God has arranged the body of Christ (church) in such a way that the honor of every member is displayed – cf. how we treat one another & others – Jas. 2:1-4.
4. Has mutual care for one another – 12:25-27.
a. 12:25 – Where there is division this is impossible! (cf. helping one another remain faithful – Gal. 6:1-2; 1 Ths. 5:14).
b. 12:26 – In Christ, there is an intertwining of our care for one another, dependence upon each other, our devotion to each other in joy & sorrow, in pleasure & pain, in life & death – of our lives together in Christ! - Rom. 12:5 (we are members of one another!), 10-16.
III. APPLYING THE PRINCIPLE.
A. We Must Respect Our Head (Christ) in All Things – Col. 3:17.
1. In what we believe, teach and practice.
2. Insist on Bible authority – by it our Head directs us!
B. We Must Do Our Part So the Body Properly Functions – Eph. 4:16.
1. Individuals function which works for the good of the whole.
2. When you or I do not do our part the body suffers!
a. Are you teaching or will you be teaching a Bible class?
b. Are you praying for your brethren?
c. Are you encouraging others in word & actions?
d. Are you burying your blessings instead of using them to help the church & glorify our Lord?
e. Are you using or abusing the gift of time the Lord gives us?
C. We Must Endeavor to Keep Unity Among Us – 12:12; Eph. 4:3.
1. So that no schism (rent, rupture) occurs – 12:25.
2. A fractured body is unable to function adequately, it takes a long time to heal, and without proper care leads to a lifetime of pain!
1. None of us can do everything, but all of us can do something!
2. May everything we do honor Christ & His body, the church.