Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Ecclesiastes 5:10-17
1. The current U.S. economic crisis reminds us of the temporary nature of all material things and helps us focus on true riches. Prov. 28:20
2. The wisdom of being content with our daily bread, Prov. 30:7-9 (Eccl. 5:15).
3. What God expects of Christians and their money. Attitudes and actions: How we view and how we use the money we have.
I. YOU ARE A STEWARD OF ALL YOU HAVE (Lk. 16:1-13).
-Steward | oikonomos: “the manager of a household or estate” (oikos, “a house,” and nemo, “to arrange”)
-How you view your money determines how you use it.
A. Be Faithful with what is Placed in Your Hand, 16:1-2, 9-12.
B. Remember who is Your Master, 16:13 (Serve God, not money)
II. MONEY PRINCIPLES FOR LIFE.
A. You are not Defined by your Possessions, Lk. 12:13-21; Eccl. 2:3-11. Life is not about what you have, but about who you are!
-Enjoy life’s blessings that come from your labor, but be responsible! Eccl. 5:18-20 (12:13-14)
B. Be Honest with Yourself about Money, Lk. 16:1 (Prov. 21:6).
1. Live within your means (16:1). Be content, 1 Tim. 6:6-10; Phil. 4:11-13.
2. Take inventory of your finances and make tough decisions, then act in faith (16:3-7).
3. You will answer to God for how you use your money, 16:2, 11.
a. Don’t be greedy, 1 Tim. 6:10.
b. Don’t be covetous, Heb. 13:5.
c. Don’t be envious, 1 Pet. 2:1.
C. Give to God First, Prov. 3:9-10; 1 Cor. 16:2; 2 Cor. 9:6-7.
D. Pay your Taxes, Rom. 13:7 (Matt. 17:24-27; Mk. 12:13-17).
E. Pay your Debts, Rom. 13:8. (A responsibility of love)
F. Do not Obligate yourself for more than you can Afford, Prov. 22:26-27. (Credit beyond your means, surety for others, etc.)
G. Be Generous to Others, Prov. 11:24-28; 19:17; 22:9 (14:31; 17:5); Acts 20:35. (Family, 1 Tim. 5:8; brethren and needy, Gal. 6:10)
III. THINGS THAT ARE BETTER (MORE VALUABLE) THAN MONEY.
A. A Good Name, Prov. 22:1.
B. Righteousness, Prov. 16:8; 28:6.
C. Fear of the Lord, Prov. 15:16-17; 22:4.
IV. YOUR HEART IS WHERE YOUR TREASURE IS, Matt. 6:19-21.
A. Lay up Treasure in Heaven:
1. Total devotion to God, 6:22-24 (Matt. 22:37).
2. Keep right values and do not be distracted by material things, 6:25-32.
3. Priorities: first things first, 6:33.
4. View tomorrow properly, 6:34; Jas. 4:13-15.
1. Riches cannot save your soul, Prov. 11:4-6:
a. Righteousness delivers while the wicked fall, 11:4-5 (Acts 10:34-35).
b. Unfaithful are captured by their lust, 11:6.
2. Use your money to lay up treasure in heaven, 1 Tim. 6:18-19.
3. “The blessing of the Lord makes one rich, and He adds no sorrow with it.” (Prov. 10:22)