By: Joe R. Price|
Christians are eager to worship God together (Acts 2:42, 46; 5:42). In
Hebrews 10:25 we are commanded to not forsake our assembling together. We
are not to "leave behind" or "abandon" the opportunities we have to gather
together to worship God and to encourage one another.
Some first century Christians had the habit of
forsaking their assembling together (Heb. 10:25). Today, some Christians
make a habit of not gathering with the church as they should or could.
Perhaps they do not understand the importance of our assemblies. This
outline offers some Bible answers to the question, "Why must I attend the
worship services of the church?"
Because God has commanded me
to do so - Hebrews 10:24-25.
- The violation of God's law is sin - 1 John 3:4.
- God's law is that we assemble together - Hebrews
- Therefore, to forsake our assembling together is to
sin against God.
So that we may worship God in
spirit and truth - John 4:24.
- To worship God should be a happy expectation -
- Our assemblies help accomplish certain aspects of
our worship to God:
- The Lord's Supper - 1 Corinthians 11:20; Acts
- Admonishing one another in song - Colossians
- Giving on the first day of the week - 1
- Hear the preaching of the word of God - Acts
So that we can give & receive
edification - 1 Corinthians 14:26; Romans 14:19.
- We help to influence our brethren - Hebrews
- We participate in a good work - Titus 2:14.
- We hear God's word preached - Acts 20:7; Romans
- We praise God and speak to one another in song -
Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16.
- We pray together - Acts 4:23-31; 1 Timothy 2:8.
- We remember and proclaim the Lord's death by
partaking of the Lord's Supper - 1 Corinthians 11:23-26.
WHEN YOU DO NOT ATTEND
WORSHIP SERVICES: You fail to honor God through worship - John 4:23.
- You sin against God - Hebrews 10:25; Acts 10:34-35.
- You rob yourself of opportunities for spiritual
growth - Hebrews 10:24; 1 Peter 2:1-2; Ephesians 4:11-12, 16.
- You choose convenience over conviction - Acts
- You are not putting God first - Matthew 6:33;
16:24; Luke 4:8.
The worship services of the church are designed to
honor God and encourage men. With reverence and devotion let us all commit
ourselves to "not forsaking our own assembling together" (Hebrews 10:25).
Return to Fundamentals of the Faith
Designed by Chuck Sibbing