Joe R. Price
(Scripture: Proverbs 1:1-9)
- Some folks are color blind (can't distinguish colors).
- Some folks have spiritual blindness - Can't distinguish right &
- Discernment: "to distinguish...examine, scrutinize...judging"
(Vine). Involves examination & judgment.
- SPIRITUAL DISCERNMENT IS A NECESSITY IN OUR
- For Wisdom, Moral & Doctrinal Purity, Justice - 1 Kings 3:9, 11;
Eccl. 2:14; 8:5-6; Luke 12:54-59.
- Spiritual Discernment Is Practical - Phil. 1:9-11.
- With it we abound in love, approve what is excellent, maintain
sincerity & avoid offense, bear fruits of righteousness, thereby
- WE MUST USE DISCERNMENT IN EVERY AREA OF
LIFE! (cf. Acts 10:34)
- Discern Truth - Jno. 18:38; 8:31-32; 7:16-17.
- Jesus - Jno. 4:19.
- The Scriptures - Acts 17:11-12.
- Teachers/teaching - 1 Jno. 4:1, 6 (Rev. 2:2-3).
- Discern Good & Evil - Ezek. 44:23; Heb. 5:14.
- (Application: Gal. 5:19-21; Rom. 12:2).
- Discern The Lord's Body - 1 Cor. 11:27-29.
- So as to properly partake of the Lord's Supper.
- Discern Our Own Works - Gal. 6:4; 2 Cor. 13:5.
- DOKIMAZO - "(1) to test, examine, prove, scrutinize (to see
whether a thing is genuine or not), as metals (2) to recognize as
genuine after examination, to approve, deem worthy" (Thayer, ONLINE
- 1 Thess. 5:21-22 - Requires faith, courage, wisdom, knowledge of
- Phil. 1:9-11 - Here is the value of spiritual discernment!
- Hebrews 4:12 - God's word discerns our thoughts & intents. How are yours?!
- Joshua 24:15 - Choose your master - discern truth & obey God!
Return to Sermon
Designed by Chuck Sibbing