THINGS WHICH CANNOT BE SHAKEN
1. Ours is an unstable world: The National Earthquake Information Center reports locates about 12,000 to 14,000 EQs yearly (~35/day).
2. Heb. 12:28 (Shaken) - "unshaken, unmoved; metaph. Not liable to overthrow and disorder, firm, stable." (Thayer, Online Bible)
a. 12:25-27 - His voice once shook Mt. Sinai (12:18) & now He shakes things which will not stand. (Context: Judaism's covenant, priesthood, sacrifices, temple )
b. 12:27 - So that unshakable will remain.
3. 12:28 - The kingdom: Mt. Zion, city of the living God, heavenly Jerusalem, general assembly & church of the firstborn! - 12:22 (God's dwelling place with His people!)
4. Jno. 18:36 - Christ's kingdom is not shaken by the things of this world because it is not of this world!
5. Some notable things in God's eternal purposes which cannot be shaken (cannot be moved from their mooring, made unstable & liable to be overthrown). These cause our faith to soar & be sustained in the "full assurance of hope until the end" (Heb. 6:11).
I. THE KINGDOM OF CHRIST CANNOT BE SHAKEN - Heb. 12:28.
A. Prophecy Is Fulfilled - Dan. 2:40-44; 7:17-18, 22, 27.
1. Kingdom announced by John & Jesus - Matt. 3:2; Mk. 1:14-15.
2. Defined by Jesus - Matt. 16:18-19.
3. Established in NT times - Mk. 9:1; Acts 1:8; 2:1, 41; Col. 1:13; Heb. 12:28.
B. The Kingdom Cannot Be Shaken By:
1. The kingdoms of men - Dan. 2:44 (Roman Empire - Rev. 17:14).
2. The death of its king - Matt. 16:18 (Acts 2:24).
3. By the power of sin - 1 Cor. 15:54-58.
II. THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM CANNOT BE SHAKEN - Mk. 1:14-15. (Repent & believe the gospel!)
A. The Gospel Of The Kingdom Withstands Every Assault! - Matt. 24:35; 1 Pet. 1:22-25; Heb. 4:12.
1. Modernists who deny its inspiration (2 Tim. 3:16; 2 Pet. 1:21).
2. Agnostics who doubt its credibility (Jno. 17:17).
3. Atheists who reject its God (Psa. 14:1).
4. False teachers & their false doctrines (Gal. 1:7-9; 2 Pet. 3:16).
5. Weak Christians who will not rely upon it (Rom. 10:17).
B. The Gospel Cannot Be Shaken Because Of The Integrity Of God - Heb. 6:16-18. (God's word & God's oath)
-We can rely upon it! We must live by it!
III. THE ETERNAL KINGDOM CANNOT BE SHAKEN - 2 Pet. 1:11.
A. The Christian's Inheritance - 1 Pet. 1:3-9.
1. Incorruptible: "not liable to corruption or decay, imperishable." (Food)
2. Undefiled: "free from that by which the nature of a thing is deformed and debased, or its force and vigour impaired;" that which is far removed from every kind of contamination. (Rust)
3. Does not fade away: "unfading, the root idea being that it is unaffected by the withering which is common in the case of flowers." (Flowers)
4. 1:5 - Guarded through faith! Cf. 1:7-9
1. Heb. 12:28: Therefore
a. Let us have grace (thanksgiving, Col. 3:17).
b. Serve God acceptably (Heb. 13:15).
c. With reverence & godly fear (Acts 9:31).
2. Through Christ, we cannot be shaken! - Rom. 8:37-39
-As we are faithful to Him by keeping His word! 1 Cor. 15:58; 1 Jno. 2:5-6.
3. You can live in stability & safety in this unstable world by being in the kingdom which cannot be shaken!