ON THE HOUSETOP
1. Ever go to your roof to relax? Not a place we think of going for retreat, refuge, relaxation, meditation & contemplation.
2. Housetops in ancient Palestine were different (Matt. 24:17 - flat):
a. Sometimes tents or booths were erected on them (2 Sam. 16:22).
b. They were protected by parapets or low walls (Deut. 22:8).
c. On the house-tops grass sometimes grew (Psa. 129:6).
d. They were used, not only as places of recreation in the evening, but also sometimes as sleeping-places at night (1 Sam. 9:25-26; 2 Sam. 11:2; 16:22; Prov. 21:9).
e. and as places of devotion (to idols, Jer. 32:29; 19:13; to God, Acts 10:9).
3. Lets "go to the housetop" to discover some pros & cons of being there.
I. A PLACE OF PERSISTENT FAITH - Mk. 2:1-5.
A. Faith At Work - Saved The Man - Jas. 2:14-18.
B. We Must Patiently Persist In Faith Through The Obstacles & Trials Of Life - Jas. 1:2-4.
-Like these men, we must face the challenges of life as opportunities to live by faith, knowing the Lord rewards the faithful! - 1 Pet. 1:5-7
II. A PLACE OF PREACHING - Matt. 10:26-27 (Lk. 12:2-3).
A. The Housetop Signifies Opportunity, Availability & Publicity -- All Of Which Are Needed For Preaching To Occur - Rom. 10:13-15.
B. We Must "Go To The Housetops" & Proclaim The Gospel! - Mk. 16:15; Acts 8:4; Rom. 1:15
1. Fervor & zeal (Acts 4:20).
2. Clarity of speech (2 Cor. 3:12).
3. Urgency (2 Cor. 5:11).
4. Burden of lost souls (1 Cor. 9:16).
III. A PLACE OF PRAYER - Acts 10:9-10.
A. Look For Moments To Be "Alone" With The Lord - cf. Mk. 1:35; Lk. 5:17; 6:12.
1. We must take time to pray! All can improve here.
2. Clear our heads - direct our thoughts & communication.
3. Jas. 5:16 - Fervent prayers of the righteous are powerful!
IV. A PLACE OF SINFUL PASSION - 2 Sam. 11:2-5.
A. An Isolated Place Can Also Become A Stumbling-Block / Occasion For Sin.
1. Solitude does not mean secrecy from God - 2 Sam. 12:7, 13 (Psa. 32:3-5); Heb. 4:13; 1 Cor. 4:5.
2. Guard ourselves against sin when we "go to the housetop!"
V. A PLACE OF PAINFUL PRIVACY - Prov. 21:9; 25:24.
A. Husbands & Wives Need To Overcome Contentiousness In Order To Strengthen Their Marriages.
1. Wife, dont nag your husband!
2. Husband, talk to your wife!
B. The Peace Of Harmony In The Home Is A Valuable Blessing - The Disruption Of Discord & Conflict Is A Curse!
1. A small place of quiet peace is to be preferred over a large space filled with contention.
2. Col. 3:18-19 - Submissive respect & genuine, loving concern will help us avoid the tragedy of contention in our marriages.
1. Our "housetops" should be places of prayer, preaching & active faith.
2. If we use of "housetops" in these ways, they will not become places of sinful passion or painful peace.
3. How are things on your "housetop"?