Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 17:14-19
As we live by the word of God we are 1) "not of this world",
2) Kept "from the evil one",
3) In fellowship with Christ,
and 4) Sanctified,
2. Are these songs we sing a true reflection of our heart? (Col. 3:16)
-"This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through…"
-"Anywhere with Jesus…is home sweet home"
-"Here We Are But Straying Pilgrims"
-"I've a home prepared where the saints abide, just over in the glory land. And I long to be by my Savior's side, just over in the glory land."
3. Worldliness is rampant among God's people!
a. Frightening thought: Worldliness makes us God's enemy…lost! Jas. 4:4
b. Forceful temptations: Struggle with Satan, 1 Pet. 2:11.
c. Fortunate timing: Time to examine and repent, 2 Pet. 3:9.
d. Faithful transformation: From darkness to light, 2 Pet. 1:3-4.
4. Are we guilty of worldliness? 2 Cor. 6:14-7:1
a. Some indignantly respond, "No!"
b. Lacking confidence, some answer, "I don't think so"; "I hope not."
c. Some may even answer, "What do you mean by worldliness?"
GOD'S DEFINITION OF WORLDLINESS.
A. World: System Of Evil in Opposition to God, 1 Jno. 2:15; Jas. 4:4. The dominion of Satan, 1 Jno. 5:19.
1. When our motives, attitudes, values and conduct are shaped and molded (patterned) after the world, then we are worldly! Rom. 12:2
2. Our objective: In Christ, we overcome the world, live for Jesus and please God, Jno. 16:33; Rom. 8:37; 1 Jno. 5:4.
THE THINGS OF THE WORLD,
1 Jno. 2:15-17.
A. All Sins of the World Broadly Fall into these Categories:
1. Lust (desire) of the flesh: Carnality.
a. God has given some desires that are good within themselves:
1) Desire for food: Good and natural, but gluttony is sinful (Prov. 23:20-21).
2) Desire for drink: Good and natural, but drunkenness is sinful (Eph. 5:18).
3) Desire for sleep: But laziness is sinful (Prov. 6:10-11).
4) Desire for sexual pleasure: Lawful place, but without marriage it is sinful (1 Cor. 7:2; 1 Ths. 4:3).
b. Desires of sin lead to spiritual death, Jas. 1:14-15.
2. Lust of the eye (wanting what the eye sees): Covetousness.
a. Look to lust after, Matt. 5:28.
b. Selfish consumption to please self,
c. Life is not the things we possess, Lk. 12:15; Matt. 16:26.
3. Pride of life (desire to impress, be noticed, admired): Conceit.
a. The drive of selfish ambition and self-interest, Phil. 2:3-4.
b. Must seek honor from God, not people, Jno. 5:44 (Lk. 14:11).
III. THE CARES OF THE WORLD,
A. As Thorns Choke a Good Plant, there are things that Choke Out Spiritual Life.
1. Cares (anxiety, distracting care) of this life (over physical needs), Matt. 6:25-33; Phil. 4:6-8.
2. Riches (deceitfulness of riches,
Matt. 6:24; 1 Tim.
6:10, 6 (Col.
3. Pleasures of life, 1 Tim. 5:6 (Heb. 11:25).
a. Some pleasures are wrong because God declares them wrong, 1 Pet. 4:3-4 (Heb. 11:25). [Licentiousness, lust and that which leads to it: Pornography, immodesty, media filth, social drinking, dancing, etc.]
-The world views such things as the normal way of life!
b. Some pleasures are not sinful unless we put before God, cf. 2 Tim. 4:10. Many are too busy to pray, study, visit the sick, have home classes, come to all worship services -- What we choose shows what we take pleasure in, and whether we are pleasing God! Jas. 4:17 (Josh. 24:15; Heb. 2:2-3)
VICTORY OVER THE WORLD,
1 Jno. 5:4-5.
A. You have Control Over Your Mind, Rom. 8:5; Col. 3:1-3.
1. Choose to occupy minds with spiritual things; word of Christ.
2. Declare war on worldly thoughts! Phil.4:8; Col.3:16; 2 Cor.10:4-5
B. You have Control Over your Body, Rom. 6:13-14 (what you do).
1. Obey the will of God, 1 Jno. 2:17.
2. Glorify God with our body, 1 Cor. 6:19-20.
C. You Must take Inventory of Yourself, 2 Cor. 13:5.
1. What is on our mind most of the time: evil or good?
2. On what are we spending our time: temporal or eternal?
1. The spiritual mind is key to overcoming worldliness, Rom. 12:2.
2. Jesus died to save us from the present evil world, Gal. 1:4.
3. We escape the pollution of the world "through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ", 2 Pet. 2:20. Both initially and how we continue to do so.
4. Reap what we sow; Don't stop doing good - Eternal life. Gal. 6:7-9
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: July 3, 2014