Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Proverbs 1:10-19
1. Every person wants to be loved & accepted. Natural to desire approval, affection & good will of our friends.
2. This desire to be accepted by others (family, friends, teachers, coaches, spouse, employer, co-workers, etc.).
a. Can be good – Heb. 10:24. (Righteous influences)
b. Can take us in wrong direction. What happens when this is the case?
I. PEER PRESSURE: KNOWING OUR ENEMY.
A. Defining Peer Pressure.
1. “Social pressure by members of one’s peer group to take a certain action, adopt certain values, or otherwise conform in order to be accepted.” (Dictionary)
2. Pressure exerted to act certain way/do a certain thing.
B. Tactics: Who is Affected? EVERYONE…
1. Youth: Violence, gangs, alcohol/drugs, sex/promiscuity, bad language, dancing, smoking, disrespect for parents, dating, buddies, etc.
2. Adults: Dishonesty (cheat on taxes/ job)/Immoralities/not obey gospel....
3. Christians: Doctrinally & morally.
4. Bandwagon tactic: Entice with acceptance, popularity, ridicule, ostracize…
C. Bible Warnings to Avoid Peer Pressure to do Evil:
1. Exo. 23:2 – Prohibited in OT law.
2. Prov. 1:10-15 – Be wise & avoid.
3. Prov. 4:14-15 – Avoid, turn away from it.
4. 1 Cor. 15:33-34 – Know power of influence
5. Psa. 1:1-2 – Choose associates carefully.
D. Bible Failures & Successes:
1. Noah (Gen. 6:5-9, 22) Preacher of right; Stood alone for 120 years.
2. Aaron (Exo. 32:1, 21-24) Golden calf.
3. Joshua & Caleb (Num. 13:26-14:10) – Stood alone against Israel & possible death. (Song: “Dare to Stand Like Joshua”)
4. Rulers (Jno. 12:42-43) Glory of men.
5. Peter (Matt. 26:69-75) Denied the Lord.
6. Jesus (Matt. 26:56) – Went to the cross alone.
II. DARE TO BE DIFFERENT…DARE TO BE RIGHT!
A. Courage & Conviction – Josh. 24:14-15; Rom. 12:1-2; Eph. 6:10-13.
1. It is easy to stand with the crowd, but it takes courage to stand alone!
2. Decide ahead of time what your answer will be!
3. When called on to compromise moral purity (sex, immodesty, dancing) – Count it an honor to stand alone! (cf. Joseph)
4. When pressed to smoke, drink, do drugs--Count it honor to stand alone!
5. When ridiculed for being Christian; for standing for sound doctrine – Count it an honor to stand with Christ! Not alone!
B. Set & Keep Godly Priorities – Matt. 6:33; 1 Pet. 4:14-16 (Acts 5:29).
1. What do you want the most: To be popular & accepted by men, or to be right with God?
2. Will need: Self-control, prayer, persistence.
C. The Cost of being a Christian.
1. Heaven’s standpoint: Death of Son of God.
2. Earth’s standpoint: Denial of self – Matt. 16:24-26 (cf. Phil. 3:4-8).
3. “I Surrender All” (“All to Jesus, I surrender…”)
1. Solution? Shift desire for approval from earth to heaven.
a. Seek heavenly approval rather than earthly!
b. Seek to please God before men – Gal. 1:10; 1 Ths. 4:1.
2. Have you failed to obey the gospel because you were afraid of what others might say or think?
3. Fear God, not man – Matt. 10:28 (33).
4. Don’t be ashamed of Christ – Mk. 8:38.