Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 2 Corinthians 5:7-11
Pleasing to God
1. To please someone means to be and to do what is acceptable to them.
2. Our aim must be to please God, 2 Cor. 5:9. Note how “we are well-pleased” corresponds with our being “well-pleasing” to the Lord (Lenski), 2 Cor. 5:8, 9.
3. Things that please God.
I. WALKING BY FAITH PLEASES GOD, 2 Cor. 5:7; Heb. 11:5-6.
A. Faith that Obeys the Word of God, Jno. 8:55 (29); 1 Jno. 3:22.
B. Faith that Endures (patient, steadfast), Heb. 10:36-39.
C. Faith that Worships God, Jno. 4:23-24. (God's way, not man's.)
1. Not due to convenience, but the conviction of faith.
2. Not those who worship only if it is easy; but when it is hard.
II. LIVING IN THE SPIRIT PLEASES GOD, Rom. 8:8-9.
A. Those in Christ are not Condemned, and Live according to the Spirit, Rom. 8:1-4.
B. The Spiritually Minded have Life and Peace, Rom. 8:5-7.
1. They submit to the law of God, Rom. 8:5.
2. They set their minds on heavenly things and put to death the sins of the flesh, Col. 3:1-17.
3. They follow the Spirit's word, bear His fruit, Gal. 5:22-26 (16-18).
III. GOSPEL PREACHING PLEASES GOD, 1 Cor. 1:21.
A. God's Message (not the messenger) is the Focus, 1 Cor. 1:23; 2:1-5.
1. Because it saves, 1:21. (Rom. 1:16)
2. Because it is the power and wisdom of God, 1:23-24.
IV. A LIFE THAT IS WORTHY (BECOMING) OF THE LORD PLEASES GOD, Col. 1:9-12 (Heb. 13:21).
A. Fruitful in Every Good Work, 1:10 (Eph. 2:10).
1. Requires knowledge of His will, Col. 1:9 (2 Pet. 3:18).
2. Requires wisdom (spiritual understanding), Col. 1:9 (Jas. 3:13).
3. Requires strength, patience, longsuffering (with joy), thankfulness, Col. 1:11-12.
V. FOR CHILDREN TO OBEY THEIR PARENTS PLEASES GOD, Col. 3:20.
A. Discipline Trains Respect for Parents and for God, Heb. 12:9-11.
VI. SINGULAR DEVOTION PLEASES GOD, 1 Cor. 7:32-33.
-Worldly entanglements hinder success, 2 Tim. 2:4. Heb. 12:1
A. Devoted Holiness, 1 Cor. 7:34 (1 Pet. 1:14-16).
B. Devoted Priorities, Matt. 6:33 ("...not as I will, but as You will", Matt. 26:39).
C. Devoted Love and Allegiance, Lk. 14:26 (Matt. 22:37).
1. Only living sacrifices are acceptable to God, Rom. 12:1.
2. Judgment Day is the reason we must please God, 2 Cor. 5:10.
3. We seek to persuade you to please God, 2 Cor. 5:11.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: December 17, 2014