Topical Studies Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Psalm 121
PRAYER IN OUR LIVES
1. 1 Pet. 4:7 - We are to be watchful in prayer.
2. When prayer loses its place in our lives, we have lost faith in God!
3. “Prayer has not received the recognition that it deserves. Many people feel that since God already knows about our need, there isn't any need to tell God about them. This is a very costly mistake.” (Michael Bronson, The Incredible Power of Prayer, http://www.biblehelp.org/unsung.htm)
4. Revive our fervor for prayer – Jas. 5:16.
I. PRAYER IS BASED UPON ONE’S RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD.
A. Without a Relationship with God, Prayer Does Not Work.
1. Matt. 6:9 - “Our Father” – Children of God approach Him in prayer.
2. Matt. 7:7-11 - Prayers are petitions which grow out of relationship!
3. Jno. 9:31 – Worship & obey God – Heard (Prov. 15:29).
B. Fundamental: Prayer is a Blessing Available Only in Christ - Eph. 1:3; cf. Heb. 4:16; Phil. 4:6-7.
II. PRAYER IS:
A. An Earnest Appeal.
1. For providential care / Divine intervention - Eph. 3:20.
a. Neh. 1:11-2:4, 8 - Nehemiah’s request.
b. Jas. 5:16-18 - Like Elijah, our prayers can move God to action!
1) “The possibilities of prayer are gauged by faith in God’s ability to do.”
2) “The power of prayer is that it activates the power of God!”
c. Matt. 6:10 - “Prayer is not getting God to do my will; it is asking that God’s will be done in my life, my family, my business, and in my relationships, as it is done in heaven.” (Jesus’ Blueprint For Prayer, Haddon W. Robinson, 14-15)
B. A Humble Request - Phil. 4:6 (supplication).
1. For forgiveness - Matt. 6:12 (1 Jno. 1:9).
2. For blessings - cf. Eph. 6:18-20:
a. Material - Matt. 6:11, 31-32 (Phil. 4:19).
b. Spiritual - Phil. 4:7 (cf. peace, strength to endure)
3. For wisdom - Jas. 1:5.
C. A Reverent Expression.
1. Thankfulness – 1 Ths. 5:17-18. (Grateful recognition of God’s gifts)
2. Respect – 1 Chrn. 29:10-13. Prayer must express our reverence & honor for God -- Adoration & praise (Acts 4:24).
3. Dependency upon God – 1 Tim. 5:5; Psa. 17:6; 61:1-2 (86:1-7).
a. World says: “Rely on yourself.”
b. Prayer says: “Rely on God!”
III. HOW TO PRAY EFFECTIVELY (Jas. 5:16).
A. Pray in Humble Faith - Mk. 11:22-24 (Jas. 1:6-8).
1. Unwavering trust in, reliance on, & confidence in God.
2. “Only God can move mountains, but faith & prayer move God!”
3. Expect prayer to prevail in your life!
B. Live in Harmony with Our Prayers - Mk. 11:25-26 (Psa. 66:18).
1. Live consistently w/ the prayers we offer.
2. Adoration (reverence), blessings (thankful), forgiveness (forgive)....
C. Live an Obedient Life – 1 Jno. 3:21-22.
1. God promises to fully hear & answer because we obey Him.
2. Rebellion forfeits answers – 1 Pet. 3:12 (3:7 - Disobedience impedes prayer).
D. Ask According to the Will of God – 1 Jno. 5:14-15.
1. Where God has revealed His will we cannot expect Him to answer in violation of it:
a) Pray for salvation vs. plan of salvation (Cornelius).
b) Pray for dead vs. death ends opportunity.
c) Pray for miracle vs. 1 Cor. 13:8-10.
2. Here is where faith in prayer is crucial: The prayer of faith honors the will of God; it does not seek to violate it! - Matt. 26:39
1. Psa. 66:16-20 – Rejoice in the presence & power of God which is given to us in prayer.
2. We must continue to be a praying people in order for the Lord to be a prayer-answering God!